Process of starting a Motocross Track

Hello, so my fiance has been wanting to open up a Moto Track for years now. Now that we have moved out of San Diego and to Kentucky we actually have the opportunity since there is land here. This is slowly becoming a reality and were starting the process of making this happen. I have purchased the LLC yesterday and starting making the business plan. May I have some advise of things I may be missing out on and if this truly in fact is a wise idea. Started jotting down things like : water truck, fences, flags (and flaggers) insurance, a sign-in tent(I think he'll build something though) I can't think on the top of my head of everything right now since I'm at work but you get the idea... I would love all the help I can get. THANKS!

99% of Kentucky already looks like a motocross track. Throw up a couple banners and a dozen hay bales and drop the gate. Only problem is the draw riders to Kentucky. That damn river may as well be Trumps wall when it comes to drawing Ohio racers. MANY have failed in the Bluegrass. BUT. if done right, and if its not buried in some backwoods holler where you hear banjo's as you pull in. It may work. Good luck.
"build it and they will come. They will most certainly come"

Man I wish that wall bordered Mexico.

Gotta have the right equipment. Anythings possible. How's the dirt around your parts ?

Man I wish that wall bordered Mexico.

Gotta have the right equipment. Anythings possible. How's the dirt around your parts ?

Hello I would suggest going to other local tracks and talk with the owners most are really great people with tons of knowledge. My personal opinion is make sure this is something you are truly passionate about before going any further. Check with local ordinances and make sure it's ok to have a track on your property it sounds crazy but just because you own the land doesn't mean you can open a track. Do your best to have a water source close to the track and make it as deep as possible dumping 40,000 plus gallons of water a week drys ponds real fast. Another thing I would consider is how technical your going to make it 300 foot uphill triples are way cool to look at but the skill level required to hit them properly may deter some of the less skilled riders from coming to your track. Good luck hope all goes well for you.

Jeremy,
When you built your track did you initially build it just to play on or with a long term plan to develop it into a race facility?

The original idea was a private track, then young person in me had an idea, and things took a turn.

Start playing the lottery and looking for 4 leaf clovers

Maybe they already won the lottery and have a yard full of 4 leaf clovers which is why they want to do an MX track...

Lucky-50-Featured-21-700x352.jpg

Seriously, why not reach out to Pitracer member Team186. He has experience running tracks in KY

99% of Kentucky already looks like a motocross track. Throw up a couple banners and a dozen hay bales and drop the gate. Only problem is the draw riders to Kentucky. That damn river may as well be Trumps wall when it comes to drawing Ohio racers. MANY have failed in the Bluegrass. BUT. if done right, and if its not buried in some backwoods holler where you hear banjo's as you pull in. It may work. Good luck.
"build it and they will come. They will most certainly come"
I was starting to take this personally until I remembered, I don't play the Banjo. It is a Kentucky Dulcimer you will hear on your way to my Kentucky holler.

Last edited:
Hello, so my fiance has been wanting to open up a Moto Track for years now. Now that we have moved out of San Diego and to Kentucky we actually have the opportunity since there is land here. This is slowly becoming a reality and were starting the process of making this happen. I have purchased the LLC yesterday and starting making the business plan. May I have some advise of things I may be missing out on and if this truly in fact is a wise idea. Started jotting down things like : water truck, fences, flags (and flaggers) insurance, a sign-in tent(I think he'll build something though) I can't think on the top of my head of everything right now since I'm at work but you get the idea... I would love all the help I can get. THANKS!

Welcome to PitRacer and to Northern KY. This will be a big change from San Diego and I hope you like it here. I live in NKY also.

Good luck and enjoy the strategic planning for your new business. You can learn a lot just working up the details of a business plan and an operating plan. Dream, Plan, Learn, Do; repeat.

If you have not owned/operated this type of business before, one suggestion might be to work full/part time at an existing track that is operating as a business. Starting any new business is a challenge and compounded if you don't have the expertise. Another plus of working at an operating track is the chance to learn if your fiance actually likes this type of work. I have a few stories about people going all in on new businesses and then learning they hated the job.

I started a post with a few pretend details about opening a Motocross track business a couple of years ago. Some PitRacer member racers and even some track owners jumped in with real detail. Might be an interesting post for you.

Search for the Post titled: So you want to get rich owning a motocross track

Dano762

Welcome to PitRacer and to Northern KY. This will be a big change from San Diego and I hope you like it here. I live in NKY also.

Good luck and enjoy the strategic planning for your new business. You can learn a lot just working up the details of a business plan and an operating plan. Dream, Plan, Learn, Do; repeat.

If you have not owned/operated this type of business before, one suggestion might be to work full/part time at an existing track that is operating as a business. Starting any new business is a challenge and compounded if you don't have the expertise. Another plus of working at an operating track is the chance to learn if your fiance actually likes this type of work. I have a few stories about people going all in on new businesses and then learning they hated the job.

I started a post with a few pretend details about opening a Motocross track business a couple of years ago. Some PitRacer member racers and even some track owners jumped in with real detail. Might be an interesting post for you.

Search for the Post titled: So you want to get rich owning a motocross track

Dano762
Thanks so much! I will look at it. We have started our business plan and looked at a parcel that is 29 acres last week, so we'll see what happens..

Back