Kid race nutrition

Double D

PR Founding Father
I have had so many conflicting conversations.

Nick. 11 years old. Only wants to eat healthy. Good thing.

Race day I make him eggs toast. Turkey sandwich no sauce of any kind. His choice. Fruits. Breakfast bars for snacks. Oh and he has to have a cup of mac and cheese. I never told him it was junk food. Kids gotta live a little.

I see powder drinks muscle milk. ????????? Any race diets?
Thought I would just chatt it up here before I read info on the moto-nut-web by psycho parents.

Suggestions?

Cyclist know how to eat and drink. If your looking for nutrition guidance start there.
You need hydration and recovery drinks that have zero caffeine.
Caffeine is bad for your bone strength and impedes muscle growth.
Don’t mix carbs and proteins on race day. Space them out at least 60 minutes between. Your body processes food better when it doesn't have to store one food as it processes another.

My kid is 6'2" and 175lbs. He eats anything and everything. Cheeseburgers, nachos and cheese, Icees, etc. Does not seem to bother him no matter what he is eating at the races. He drinks Gatorade or what at the races, usually no soda until after the races.

Unless your the next Dungey, let the kid be a kid and eat what kids eat. Just my thoughts.

mitch Payton calls it "kidpower" suppose meaning they don't have to really do anything. They just have this kidpower. Ha. Weigandt and him were talking about it somewhere. Maybe during lorettas. Can't remember where the video is.

Not trying to ruin his fun. He likes eating healthy I just want to put him in right direction. No crazy diet just the right stuff. He still gets dingdongs and pizza

Gregga, I loading up on carbs on race day will help with energy, so Mac and cheese is good. If you eat carbs and then exercise they will give you energy, it is only when you eat tons of carbs and dont do anything that you get fat. If it is a training day, or he works really hard it is good to get protein withing 30 minutes of the workout/activity to help the muscle fibers recover. If he starts getting tired and you want to give him healthy energy or an energy drink replacement, BCAA's are really good, they taste good and are much healthier than energy drinks.

Eating healthy? Lean meats.. chicken, turkey ( ground ) fish ( salmon, tilapia ) eggs, egg whites, Greek yogurt..

Complex carbs for energy.. Oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, beans, peas and fresh vegetable, I eat a lot of asparagus since I hate most veggies.

Stay away from those protein powders 99.9 percent of it is garbage. If on the go and you must have a shake. Make your own shake.

Liquid egg whites
Plain oatmeal
Natural peanut butter
Mix with either water or almond milk.

Nothing is better then real food. I do use BCAAs but I don’t think it’s really necessary for mx training and overall health.

Water.. lots and lots of water shoot for at least a half gallon a day . This is a decent guideline. There are plenty of macro counters on the net that will give your son a baseline.

If you're looking for hydration or rehydration there is a powder mix called s.o.s just mix it in bottle of water and it's same as having IV drip. It was developed by a doctor for fire fighters to use after battling intense fires. My son uses it during football season. 2 years ago he got really dehydrated and ended up in the ER. Hasn't been back since starting the s.o.s. You can get it on Amazon

We recently started using some of the Ryno Power products. We put a little of the Gladiator powder in a bottle of water and tell her it is "jumping juice" or "fast fruit" it helps more with the psychological part of her riding more than it does the nutritional at this point, lol. We are a family of veggies (we do eat fish but no other meat) so it is really easy for us to pack for a race, pbj sandwiches, wraps, celery and pb. She eats pretty much everything with pb, hah. Lots of fruis and veggies, and pastas. Kid has never had soda, rarely asks for juice, does drink a little Gatorade on ride days, but drinks water 99% of the time, I wish I had this quality. With this being said I once witnessed Jett Reynolds down a bag of Doritos before winning a championship.....

Eating healthy? Lean meats.. chicken, turkey ( ground ) fish ( salmon, tilapia ) eggs, egg whites, Greek yogurt..

Complex carbs for energy.. Oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, beans, peas and fresh vegetable, I eat a lot of asparagus since I hate most veggies.

Stay away from those protein powders 99.9 percent of it is garbage. If on the go and you must have a shake. Make your own shake.

Liquid egg whites
Plain oatmeal
Natural peanut butter
Mix with either water or almond milk.

Nothing is better then real food. I do use BCAAs but I don’t think it’s really necessary for mx training and overall health.

Water.. lots and lots of water shoot for at least a half gallon a day . This is a decent guideline. There are plenty of macro counters on the net that will give your son a baseline.
I second that. I weigh my foods out and pack them out a couple days in advance. Makes things a million times easier. I'll do a shake once in a while but usually just a whey isolate. Probiotics and animal paks are all I take. Mineral support is important too. Diet is numero uno.

When I really started getting after it and training I switched up my diet and it made a world of difference in my riding and the way I felt off the track. He's on the right track. Keep it up.

Good stuff thank you.

He is driving this. I just want to accommodate.

I do need to pack and plan meals for racing. He wears me out! Calls me his mechanic/servant and I am honored to do so! Ha ha

Having way to much fun with it.

Try and dedicate one day a week and just cook your meals for the entire week. Don’t use Tupperware, use freezer bags.. saves space in the fridge. You can also bag your meals and freeze them.. eat your carbs closer to directly before/after your motos and workouts. Shoot for 1g of protein per body pound. Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day. Keeps the metabolism kicking.

Get a food scale. Weigh protien and carbs out. Veggies I typically do 1 cup. For an 11 year old kid maybe half a cup. Broccoli, asparagus, green beans, whatever. Sweet potatoes, oats, brown rice, good carbs are going to help a ton with endurance training. Beans aren't bad either. Fiber is important which most of those carb sources have good amounts of fiber. It helps your body digest a little better. Don't go crazy on supplements.. I worked at gnc for a few years and 99% of the supplement world is complete bs. Food is key. No supplement could ever replace a good diet. Greens supplements and a good multi are about as far as you need to go. BCAAS are good for race days to help with some recovery between motos. (Pretty sure that's what js7 was sipping on when he lost his contract with whatever energy drink a few years back) lol mxfreedom33 has the right idea with the meal prep. Weigh it up, bag it up. Don't miss a meal.

All great info, thanks for all the posts. We are doing Whitecrafts Saturday and Sunday and I know he will be tired on the ride home Sunday night! I just want to give him the right stuff. We were already on the right path, but some of the portion ideas are great.

We recently started using some of the Ryno Power products. We put a little of the Gladiator powder in a bottle of water and tell her it is "jumping juice" or "fast fruit" it helps more with the psychological part of her riding more than it does the nutritional at this point, lol. We are a family of veggies (we do eat fish but no other meat) so it is really easy for us to pack for a race, pbj sandwiches, wraps, celery and pb. She eats pretty much everything with pb, hah. Lots of fruis and veggies, and pastas. Kid has never had soda, rarely asks for juice, does drink a little Gatorade on ride days, but drinks water 99% of the time, I wish I had this quality. With this being said I once witnessed Jett Reynolds down a bag of Doritos before winning a championship.....
Family of veggies? That's unamerican. Eat a steak. I don't think we're friends anymore

Back