Montana Dual Sport Ride

flyin polack

PR Addict
Jonny and I went to Montana to do a little trail riding and fishing. Great time so far!

The DR650 is NOT a motocross bike!

upload_2018-7-16_8-24-26.jpeg

Up Little Bear

Gallatin River at Squaw Creek
upload_2018-7-16_8-26-26.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-16_8-25-32.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-16_8-25-32.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 371
Our daughter and her husband lived in Great Falls for three years. (He was Air Force). The wife and I made six trips out during that time.
Montana has some of the most amazing and scenic country that we have ever seen. They did have a community of motocross racers and battled between the two tracks of Great Falls and Helena. The plains and mountain ranges are so vast that most of all, the state is a trail or adventure rider's dream, only limited to the size of your bikes fuel tank.
Cool pic's.

I foresee a time that I'll begin doing adventure rides like this.

A now retired coworker of mine, that just retired, would take at least a couple long distance trips a year to different states just to ride trails. Often talking other coworkers into joining them. From the report backs afterwards, a great time was had by all, and the trails and scenery were nothing short of spectacular.

I've plugged this on here before, but always worth a repeat. If you like this stuff, you need to check out the Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman's "Long Way Round" and "Long Way Down" video's. Great stuff.

Keep it coming, you're giving me the DRZ-itch!

Breathtaking.
That's the stuff I remember. Especially the mountain snow in July. (I also remember it was a 30hr drive to get there, haha.)

Are you guys using walkie-talkie head seats or any other communication devices, and have you come across any other riders?

Are you riding anywhere near the continental divide?

Last edited:
Breathtaking.
That's the stuff I remember. Especially the mountain snow in July. (I also remember it was a 30hr drive to get there, haha.)

Are you guys using walkie-talkie head seats or any other communication devices, and have you come across any other riders?

Are you riding anywhere near the continental divide?

No headsets just hand signals. Not too many riders where we go. 3 4Wheeler’s in 350 Miles.

Can’t just ride to no destination! Caught these at a high mountain lake. Mine was a nice rainbow trout and Jonny’s was a cutthroat trout.

Attachments

• 891A9F6F-4888-4F0A-8524-613B8FEC6BD2.jpeg
    891A9F6F-4888-4F0A-8524-613B8FEC6BD2.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 1,060
  • B07A94D7-1C88-48BC-8994-3F1682F6CFFC.jpeg
    B07A94D7-1C88-48BC-8994-3F1682F6CFFC.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,000
Last edited:
So Badasss Keep it coming
How far can you make it on a tank?
Never worried about running out of fuel?

Mileage depends on terrain. On roads I get 100 miles until reserve. Probably 130 to empty. On these trials it took nearly an hour to go 8 miles one way. On that trip we went about 25 miles and used about a gallon. It really depends on the terrain. You can't tell by the videos but that trail is a bear to WALK up let alone ride. On video 007 it is about a 30 degree angle up in places where the rocks were bad.

Were home now...had to go to work to rest!

Back