83 CR250 - I am not doing it but......

#65P looks familiar............. Would that of been majorKAP, Poindexter?

I miss all of his AHRMA racing posts on here.
Sweet bikes too!

All the talk with the new AHRMA GL series has me thinking I should bring the mighty 84 out of moth balls this year. We'll see....I'm always all motivated during the winter LOL
84RM250.JPG

Last edited:
I got set back by the China-Virus earlier this week, but still managed to get a little grit blasting in yesterday and today.
I've still got some touchup work to do and then a real close inspection but getting closer. Been real lucky on the weather. I'm gonna knock out the 84CR frame while I'm at it.
Getting all of the tight spots around brackets and mounts ate up some time.

IMG_0023-out.jpg

IMG_0024-out.jpg

Last edited:
With precious little spare time and when the weather would cooperate, I've managed to get a little progress.
So, a whole lot of our not-at-work time is spent either at our oldest granddaughter's track meets or at the ballpark for the other two grandkids, coaching.
At least with the frame's getting closer to being finished, I can get back to engine work and everything else.

Picked up a little Harbor Freight grit blaster which didn't do too awfully bad. And with using a tarp to catch most of it, I recovered and reused almost every bit of blast media. This blast hood that came with the unit absolutely sucks, so I bought a better more professional one off of ebay, but haven't used it yet.

1.jpg

Getting the original paint and powder coat off of the 84 frame took some time. I definitely need a higher capacity air compressor.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Earlier today before the final coats of Tahitian Red and Flash Red.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Final coats on the 82 CR

7.jpg

Final coats on the 84 CR

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:
A few minutes here, a few minutes there.
Struggled with the paint. The first paint I used was too glossy. Then after some digging on some VMX rebuild posts, found guys using VHT Brake Caliper paint for a nice high temp satin black finish. I went that route, and it turned out great. But then I noticed that it scuffed really easy, and that was after two weeks of curing time. I finally decided I was going to have to give it a light clear coat for added protection. Bam, right back to glossy, haha. No matter...I can live with it.

1703352546447.jpeg

A few minutes here, a few minutes there.
Struggled with the paint. The first paint I used was too glossy. Then after some digging on some VMX rebuild posts, found guys using VHT Brake Caliper paint for a nice high temp satin black finish. I went that route, and it turned out great. But then I noticed that it scuffed really easy, and that was after two weeks of curing time. I finally decided I was going to have to give it a light clear coat for added protection. Bam, right back to glossy, haha. No matter...I can live with it.

View attachment 79499
If your going to use rattle can paint in your restorations I have found a paint made by Seymour called MRO that has a very high 'solids' formula that covers super nice, its durable, plus it is gasoline proof. Try a can, you'll be hooked.

If your going to use rattle can paint in your restorations I have found a paint made by Seymour called MRO that has a very high 'solids' formula that covers super nice, its durable, plus it is gasoline proof. Try a can, you'll be hooked.

Good tip, Thanks.
Biggest challenge it seems is getting the right colors.

Another tip from an old co-worker for clear coating parts, particularly front Fork legs was Nyalic coatings. Haven't tried it yet but looks promising.

Back