VMD 2021

Vet261

PR Addict

AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days 2021 is On!

It’s true, vintage bike fans…AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days is happening this July 23-25 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio! And while the whole COVID mess kept things in limbo for a lot longer than we’d planned, we’re happy to tell you that most of the things you love about VMD — the off-road and road racing, the swap meet, the Hall of Fame activities and more — will all be on the docket.

A few things to keep in mind this year: One, we’ll all have to practice some social distancing, wear masks when in a crowd, and do our best to keep everyone safe. Let’s all work together to make this year’s event a big — and safe — success!

Two, discounted tickets for VMD 2021 are available now from Mid-Ohio at midohio.com/tickets. But hurry…prices go up on April 27!

Note: If you purchased tickets or swap-meet space for the 2020 event, which was cancelled due to COVID-19, those tickets and swap-meet reservations will be honored in 2021. Also, you will receive correspondence from the AMA well before the event containing details on how these tickets and/or swap meet spaces will be administered, etc. Please contact AMA Director of Operations Steve Austin with questions or concerns at saustin@ama-cycle.org.

As a final treat, this year’s VMD event will have a very special theme. Bruce Brown’s epic moto-documentary On Any Sunday debuted 50 years ago this July, and to celebrate we’ll be featuring some of the people, motorcycles and memorabilia that helped comprise what is arguably the best motorcycle movie of all time. We might even screen the movie during the weekend! Specifics are still coming together, so watch the AMA website and social media for updates.

July in central Ohio can only mean one thing: AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days! We hope you join us!

AMA is a little slow on getting their website and facebook info updated, hard to find any info from there about it.

Been kind of curious here lately if they were gonna spring a decision on us one way or the other.
Guess I better get busy on the bikes and the truck.

Last edited:
Welp, the clock is ticking again.
As usual spare time is at a premium due to work, coaching on two ball teams again, and mowing grass.
Got my first ride in for the year last weekend at Grear's.
Been pulling out bikes, placing parts orders every few days, and wrenching has begun.
Repairs and servicing on the old Ford.
Exercising as I can fit it in.

Can't wait for AMA's Vintage Motorcycle Days again!

Last edited:
Wonder which day is slated for the pouring rain this year......thinking about racing this year. Been several years since I raced it, just watched/sponsored last few times.

Me and the Cincinnati Bernards will be doing tech for the AMA this year (again). Taking some stuff to sell this year. Sponsoring out my 96 CR250 again, doubt I will race.

I always wanted to go to this. Anyone selling an affordable vintage bike?
I have known a couple of guys that try to buy, prep, race, and sell again all in the same weekend. I think there is a youtube of a guy that did that 2-3 years ago. Kind of an interesting thought.

What brand are you interested in and what is price target? I think the days of sub $1000 bikes are over - at least for a while. I have a couple that wouldn't break the bank and could be ready by the race weekend.

In today's market prices are a bit silly, but a PitRacer price of $2K each seems fair. Especially thinking about buying a bike in today's market, finding parts and getting them race ready. Let me know - If not I am likely going to be a spectator and take to Mid-Ohio for the swap meet. Been racing AHRMA this year - just got back from a good weekend in PA.

The closest to ready is this 1981 KX250. It hasn't been used much since finished. I have had it for probably 6 years and not started it in about 4. If it sits for months, oil seeps out but should be fine for races.

thumbnail_IMG_2667.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2669.jpg

Another is the 1978 1/2 RM250 C2. Weeps oil at the s**t shaft seal. I have a new gasket but haven't put it in.

1978 rm250 2.JPG

rm250 1 1978.JPG

I always wanted to go to this. Anyone selling an affordable vintage bike?
Bring the kids, pit bikes, and come hang out on Saturday and spend all day riding the place. You will be in love.

Dano, you can't sell my RM250! I'm so glad you stripped the paint off that custom silencer I had made! The dude that had it between you and me should be slapped for spray bombing that silencer.

BTW Alphado, I'm about to list several bikes for sale, but they are not going to be cheap! They are pretty mint. You missed my purge of about 17 bikes at decent prices over the last couple years.

Bring the kids, pit bikes, and come hang out on Saturday and spend all day riding the place. You will be in love.

Dano, you can't sell my RM250! I'm so glad you stripped the paint off that custom silencer I had made! The dude that had it between you and me should be slapped for spray bombing that silencer.

BTW Alphado, I'm about to list several bikes for sale, but they are not going to be cheap! They are pretty mint. You missed my purge of about 17 bikes at decent prices over the last couple years.
He should have been for several reasons. I did polish off his flaky black paint.

So Dan'O,
What bike(s) are you racing AHRMA right now?
The KX and RM would both be great Vintage Days Saturday bikes. FUNFUNFUN!

I am racing a '74 CR250 (Vintage), a '77 YZ250 (Historic). and an '85 RM125 (Next Gen/Pre-modern - front disk/rear drum- from John).

You would be quick on the 81 KX and think about how good it would look alongside your KDX.

thumbnail_IMG_7937.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

White Lightning MX Whoops.jpg

Yes, I got around the guy on the Ossa.

Likely my last year push with air cooled and twin shocks. I have been riding more and like the rideability and reliability of the mid-90s and early 2000s 2 strokes. Some local KY races (Black Rock, Saddleback, etc. and AHRMA)

I'll be 60 next year and might be all-in on the next gen and old geezer classes. Heck, might be a new Husqvarna 125 (like the slightly lower seat height) in my future if there are ever any in stock.

Totally understand Dano. I had all these great plans with that 78.5 C2 that is now yours, then once I started riding it I was like "WTF am I doing on this thing?" Riding a dual shock bike is just all wrong nowadays --- everything is weird, the shocks are pushing on my boots, our newer/forward riding position puts your balls on the tank, just wrong.

I will never forget Robin's Dad telling me -- "we didn't want to ride those things when they were NEW, why the eff would you want to ride them NOW?" haha. Not about the RM, just about any old bike from the 70s.

My '98 RM250 is the shiiit and I love it. It's old enough to race "vintage" race events, but it's really like a modern bike in that I just put gas in it and go, then wash it and put it away. I just listed the pristine '98 RM125 for sale....but if I can't get primo dinero for it I will keep it and start riding it.

When I was chasing year long points series on my RM465 or '84 RM250 it was harder dealing with keeping the damn things in one piece than actually running the race! I remember one year leaving Mid Ohio on a Saturday to drive to a welder to have my pipe mount welded back on so I could race Sunday! And on the C2 you have now --- that photo at Gatorback I posted doesn't reveal that at one point during that weekend trip I was also at a welder getting a footpeg fixed!

I remember people used to keep pestering me to "get a Saturday bike" when I did a lot of vintage events That means an older bike like 1974 so you can race the Vintage classes on Saturdays. Nope, nope, nope.

It was all fun, great memories. But now I just want to relax, ride when I can, and not spend all my waking hours chasing unobtanium parts so I could race the next event. The new bikes out nowadays are SOOOO NICE!!!!

Definitely takes more to make those bikes raceable and reliable but everyone on the gate is in the same boat pretty much. Getting into really good battles with other vintage or EVO machine racers, and pushing those bikes as hard as they will go, (going for broke :D), is exciting.

My favorite racing photo's when I look back, are battles on my MX250 and KDX. Love seeing that MX250 going bar-to-bar, getting aired out over a jump, or railing a berm hard.

The 80's water cooled bikes, and newer bikes (98 and up), are not much different than racing modern bikes. And that might be because I've never been able to push them to their absolute full potential. There's just so much there.

Thanks for reminding me! I had an old RM125 and a YZ250 years ago and they were a pain in the ass to keep running. Now I remember why I got rid of them,

What is the newest year bike that one can race in the Vintage races?
That's a loaded question. All depends on what you mean by "vintage."

Typically most races have classes up to 1998 now. AMA VMD has classes up to 2008 (2 stroke).

Back