First Dirt Bike

NQ1965

PR Elite
Wasn't ready for the stars and stripes to be applied? I don't remember a blue tank on the CT from those years. There was a good looking gold tank one year like my L5-T sported. Not mine here but just like it...
View attachment 74074

Can't say that I've ever seen that Yamaha bike model.
Bike has a very funky design.

NQ1965

PR Elite
View attachment 74063

Dad's bike with my mom lol

Not sure what year but I'm guessing 71-74 area. He sold that bike around 75

Your mom was quite a "Looker :cool:" Hershey.
What a lucky boy you were. just say'n

1639786885082.png

k01

PR Elite
has a very funky design.
Was the old pressed steel type frame used on many Yamahas from the late 1950s through the 1960s and beyond. The HT-1 90 Enduro came out in the same color in 1970 and out dated the L5-T, making it a good end of the year deal.

Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
Would be interesting to know how many DT style bikes Yamaha sold back in the 60's and 70's. Had to be in the hundreds of thousands. Super popular.

Kind of bums me out that I don't have any pic's of my first bike, and really surprised that mom didn't take any.
At twelve years old I worked my hump baling hay, mowing lawns and shoveling snow to get that cycle and to keep it running.
The bike was a 1974 Suzuki TC125.
I stripped all the chrome and street parts off, mounted plastic fenders and painted the tank and side covers RM yellow, with the Suzuki and Fox Head decals.

k01

PR Elite
Would be interesting to know how many DT style bikes Yamaha sold back in the 60's and 70's. Had to be in the hundreds of thousands. Super popular.

Kind of bums me out that I don't have any pic's of my first bike, and really surprised that mom didn't take any.
At twelve years old I worked my hump baling hay, mowing lawns and shoveling snow to get that cycle and to keep it running.
The bike was a 1974 Suzuki TC125.
I stripped all the chrome and street parts off, mounted plastic fenders and painted the tank and side covers RM yellow, with the Suzuki and Fox Head decals.
Yamaha made it confusing when they started naming many bikes DT. The DT was originally the 250 Enduro. That was followed by the AT, CT, HT, LT and RT, each with a different displacement. The LT 100 and CT 175 were my favorites.
I rode with guys who were on the early TS 125 and 185 Suzuki bikes. A couple of the 185s were eventually converted to MX bikes. I did the same with a LT 100.

John250

PR Founding Father
I learned to ride on a Honda CT 70 that I could not touch the ground on. I would stop next to my dad to grab me. But my first Yamaha, was a '74 GT MX 80. Would love to find one in decent shape to restore to look like my bike. Got it for Christmas. Probably the best Christmas gift I ever got.

GT 80.jpg

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
How did they get it in the house?

Mine was a surprise as well......I was to MAYBE get one in spring if my grades held up.

My parents couldn't get it through the doorway so they left it in the garage and hung an IOU on the tree.
I was totally fine X mass morning watching my sister open all her gifts just knowing the IOU was there.
My dad was filming the whole time.
After each time she opened a gift my dad would pan to me and I would just point to the tree once again and smile.
When we sat down for breakfast, my father MANDATED that I go out and get my mother some fresh juice from the fridge in the garage.
I didn't want to go get the fresh juice because we already had some in the house -!
I even pulled it out of the fridge and made a scene -----
After a giant drama fest I reluctantly went out to the garage.
I rounded the corner & I fell to the floor in a sea of emotion, sobbing.
After all that ---- To see it sitting there left me totally destroyed.

hershey

PR Elite
I learned to ride on a Honda CT 70 that I could not touch the ground on. I would stop next to my dad to grab me. But my first Yamaha, was a '74 GT MX 80. Would love to find one in decent shape to restore to look like my bike. Got it for Christmas. Probably the best Christmas gift I ever got.

View attachment 74269
I've got a yellow one of those in my garage I bought last year.

John250

PR Founding Father
We lived in a Bi-Level house. Garage was right off the family room, and utility room was right off the family room as well.

My sisters both opened up all their gifts. I could tell that it seemed like my sisters got a lot more than I did for Christmas that year. We all open all our gifts and my dad tells me to go up stairs and get him something out of his room. I come back down stairs and there sat the bike next to the tree. They had hid it out in our shed until Christmas, and then put it in the utility room until I went upstairs.

Best Christmas gift ever. I've never been without a dirt bike since that point in my life. Not many of us that can say we got bikes that young and 52 years old, still riding 48 years later.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Mom & dad said they were totally freaking out while trying to hide it .......
My dad must have picked it up at the dealership so they had to stash it away for a few days before Christmas morning.
Ha- They KNEW we were snooping around everywhere trying to get the down low on what our presents were..

k01

PR Elite
This was my 1st bike, Rupp Roadster… sitting in my shop waiting to get going again. Maybe this WinterView attachment 74270
I had 4 hp Bonanza. Straight chrome on right side. Still have the burn scar on my leg to remember it well. Front mounted foot pegs so it really wasn't a dirt bike. The only Rupp I had came on 4 wheels. Fuzzy picture helps hide the total lack of motocross track riding safety gear.
2021-12-22 20.11.47.png

Ron505

PR Founding Father
I don't have any pictures of my first bike (around 1978 - 4th grade), but I believe it was the same as Johns', but white and red? Here is one that is white and black.
73GT80.jpg

After breaking the frame on my GT/MX a few times, I got a TC100 (1974?) around 1980 or so. We were stripping the headlight and chrome goodies off within the first few miles of picking it up when my dad made some threats about pulling anything off of it...lol. So I just beat on it as is.

TC100 1.jpg

Ron505

PR Founding Father
I'm sure I did. When we moved down there from Columbus it seemed like there were motorcycles everywhere. We moved in to a house that should have been condemned, and redid everything. It's between Hickory Hill and Eckert. Now a tan farm house with timber fencing around it

Reactions: k01