Malvern AQ

stumpy823

PR Member
God I suck have 2 table tops not big messing with my head come up a little short on both and almost died now scared of them damn I’m getting old

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
So this weekend for me was horrible. Didn’t ride good at all just felt like I wasn’t flowing with the track at all. Saturday I dnfed my first moto after overshooting the big triple by 10-15 feet and almost getting taken out and lost all my breathe and had to pull off. Then Next moto rode okay just wanted to finish at that point. Then Sunday comes and it rained a lot Saturday and track was a muddy mess for practice. First motos come around and tracks brutal and rutted. I don’t have a problem with the track being like that but it has to be SAFE. Well of course the section of the big downhill and triple is rutted and in Collegeboy I was running 5th right behind the A dudes a on lap 2 I got cross rutted at the bottom of the triple and just knew I was coming up short and bounced off the top hands off the bars and ate it. Ankles swollen and sore now along with the back from the impact. After that I rode okay and just wanted to finish the day because my body was just struggling. Don’t know what it was but the track prep this weekend wasn’t the same malvern I’ve ever rode. Sunday it wasn’t there fault due to weather but Friday and Saturday it just started out way to muddy. Forms horrible lines when it’s that muddy. I wasn’t trying to be a douchebag so sorry to whoever I yelled at on the tower after me crashing in the first Collegeboy moto but it’s ridiculous when me and 2 others crash right in that
area due to the ruts. For moto 2 the track was super smoked but at least that section was finally safe. Overall for me a crappy weekend but we live on just gotta get ready for regionals now and heal up.

Meister

PR Founding Father
Still do timing way off parked the bike didn’t deserve to be out there
Ahh get that outa your head. I struggled really bad today too. A combo of coming off the couch and an unmaintained track made the day a challenge. Just had to ride around to not die. Lack of maintenance made everyone struggle though. Like Mathew said, I'm ok with rough, but when it's like there is a goal to make tracks as rough as humanly possible, it sucks the fun out of it. Slot car racing isn't fun. Lol.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
Ahh get that outa your head. I struggled really bad today too. A combo of coming off the couch and an unmaintained track made the day a challenge. Just had to ride around to not die. Lack of maintenance made everyone struggle though. Like Mathew said, I'm ok with rough, but when it's like there is a goal to make tracks as rough as humanly possible, it sucks the fun out of it. Slot car racing isn't fun. Lol.
Exactly. It’s okay to have a rough track but ruts in areas where we are 4th gear and on a face of a jump that’s almost 100ft just a mix for disaster and obviously it bit me real bad.

pape718

PR Member
First off the track had numerous parents and riders coming up Saturday afternoon saying they wish we wouldn't disc the track at intermission so the rutts stayed to separate riders. This is a Lorettas Lynn qualifier not your local race. Nobody told you that you had to it that triple that was your choice to hit it with the conditions. I raced four motos Sunday was the track rough and challenging absolutely, did I finish where I wanted to no. It's a qualifier. I don't want to see anybody hurt but it chance you take I've been hurt before for hitting a big jump it sucks. If you ask any the old guys that ran A class back in the day you went to District 5 in PA to get fast cause this is how there tracks were Ohio motocross has gotten soft with all the track prep.

jrminiquad

PR Addict
First off the track had numerous parents and riders coming up Saturday afternoon saying they wish we wouldn't disc the track at intermission so the rutts stayed to separate riders. This is a Lorettas Lynn qualifier not your local race. Nobody told you that you had to it that triple that was your choice to hit it with the conditions. I raced four motos Sunday was the track rough and challenging absolutely, did I finish where I wanted to no. It's a qualifier. I don't want to see anybody hurt but it chance you take I've been hurt before for hitting a big jump it sucks. If you ask any the old guys that ran A class back in the day you went to District 5 in PA to get fast cause this is how there tracks were Ohio motocross has gotten soft with all the track prep.
Your boy looked pretty fast out there when I saw him.

hershey

PR Elite
We had a great weekend. Austin didn't get the results we were after but did far better Sunday simply because the track was slower and far more technical. Of course on an 85, none of them jumped the downhill triple or up hill after. But it was super rough and rutted which I feel always separates riders more than jumps. Saturday was like a freeway, it was way too fast and that is more about balls than skill IMO. The track at LL is far more like sunday than Saturday. You need to ride tracks like that in order to become a better rider. Overall I think they did a fantastic job. Especially considering the amount of rain they dealt with Saturday night. They spent hours getting the mud off the track early Sunday am before sun up.

Last edited:

Toddco327

PR Addict
Wow!!! One heck of a weekend. It was amazing. Great racing all weekend long. Saturday was super fun with all the mini classes and a lot of kids making it to their first regional. Talked to a few of them who just got into dirt bikes in the past few years. So it looks like the sport is growing.

Sunday races went quick. A little sloppy in practice but that’s pretty standard and motos went off fast. I think we finished at 3:50pm. 20 motos the first time around and 18 the second. (Consi race in 250c)

As for the prep and safety of the track it’s always a top priority. The ruts before the uphill were challenging which is ok. But after 2 incidents in college boy they immediately fixed it. Took the dozer out and disc and got it dialed in. Even though you don’t hear it, there is constant talk about track conditions and what’s happening out there. Not a race goes by without some type of communication.

As for the racers we had a ton from the NY and New England areas of the country. They were all pretty fast. Michigan also had a good showing too. Luke Fauser is super fast. He’s on the 125 this year. He was saying this track was the amazing and loved it.

Overall a great weekend. Tons of work and everyone did a great job. Got to talk to some Pitracer people which is always nice. Mcaupp and Hershey it was nice seeing you guys!

John250

PR Founding Father
I just have one point to make. When did everyone decide MX tracks had to be rutted like slot car tracks and super super rough?

I am 52. When I was growing up, the tracks did not get this rough or rutted. Obviously 4 strokes have impacted how they tear up a track. And track prep today is much different as well.

But, I will say, go back to the nationals last year. There were a couple races, millville being one, that they did not disc deep and the track did not get near as rough or rutted. These races produced the best nationals of the year, racing wise.

At the end of the day, these people are all amateurs. 99% of them will never make one dime racing a motorcycle. So do we need any track or Loretta's getting so damn rough it is dangerous? Human nature to these kids like Matthew and others, if the guy in front of me jumps it, I've got to jump it too to be competitive. Anytime you add deep ruts across the face of the jump, the jump becomes way more dangerous. And did it make the racing better? Not at all.

hershey

PR Elite
I just have one point to make. When did everyone decide MX tracks had to be rutted like slot car tracks and super super rough?

I am 52. When I was growing up, the tracks did not get this rough or rutted. Obviously 4 strokes have impacted how they tear up a track. And track prep today is much different as well.

But, I will say, go back to the nationals last year. There were a couple races, millville being one, that they did not disc deep and the track did not get near as rough or rutted. These races produced the best nationals of the year, racing wise.

At the end of the day, these people are all amateurs. 99% of them will never make one dime racing a motorcycle. So do we need any track or Loretta's getting so damn rough it is dangerous? Human nature to these kids like Matthew and others, if the guy in front of me jumps it, I've got to jump it too to be competitive. Anytime you add deep ruts across the face of the jump, the jump becomes way more dangerous. And did it make the racing better? Not at all.
Dude, it wasn't that rough and rutted. It was just the right amount to slow it down and make it safer. Anything but a slot car race, just in the corners. Without the rough stuff the track is way too fast and actually makes it more dangerous. Easy doesn't equal safe....or fun.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
I am totally fine with it being rough and rutted. Have nothing against it being rough because I like those conditions. But when the ruts are going down a straightaway that’s 4th gear and aren’t setting up for the big triple correctly yeah it’s not safe. I jumped the triple every lap even after wadding myself up on it. But at the same time they went out and bulldozed it and finally made the face hardpark and not so rutted like it should be. At the end of the day Sunday anyone could hit the triple because ruts weren’t deep before it and you had more room to work with. However before I crashed it was rutted clear all the way across and I cross rutted and was a passenger. Once again I love malvern and love the track but ruts in that one part of the track always need dealt with if they are that bad. The rest of the track leave as rough as you want cause it isn’t near as fast as that triple down and triple up

pape718

PR Member

How do you figure the guy in front me jumped it every lap in plus 50 I didn't jump it once cause I chose not to and you must never left ohio to race steel city, high point buds creek those tracks all get nasty. The track had got rain Friday night and Saturday night Bobby had 2 dozens out there pushing off the mud to give us riders the best track he could. He could have said piss on it and save $500 in diesel fuel. The track was going to be extra rutted with the help of mother nature its wasn't done on purpose but you can't stop every 5 motos to disc.

pape718

PR Member
I am totally fine with it being rough and rutted. Have nothing against it being rough because I like those conditions. But when the ruts are going down a straightaway that’s 4th gear and aren’t setting up for the big triple correctly yeah it’s not safe. I jumped the triple every lap even after wadding myself up on it. But at the same time they went out and bulldozed it and finally made the face hardpark and not so rutted like it should be. At the end of the day Sunday anyone could hit the triple because ruts weren’t deep before it and you had more room to work with. However before I crashed it was rutted clear all the way across and I cross rutted and was a passenger. Once again I love malvern and love the track but ruts in that one part of the track always need dealt with if they are that bad. The rest of the track leave as rough as you want cause it isn’t near as fast as that triple down and triple up
That area is at the bottom of the hill where all the rain ran the dozer guy tried along time before you guys even it the track for practice it was mucky and he couldn't do much with it till it dried out later. I was in moto 5 two motos before you it was rutted down there I seen it but you can't blame the track they did what the could till it dried, if you would have won and not crash probably wouldn't feel the same

Meister

PR Founding Father
That's the cool part I suppose. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's also where people can get salty if they're affiliated with the facility and hear a differing opinion, which I hope doesn't happen with this post lol.. Jeff, I'm absolutely sure that you had a couple chest thumping parents who don't ride come up and say to skip prep. Of course they want little johnny to be the next jett Lawrence on rough tracks. I saw probably the same couple parents post on FB. I always laugh when it's mini parents saying that stuff who won't be stepping foot on the track. I heard more complaining about how rutty it got than anyone singing praises. I also understand the effort you, Bobby, and the crew put in over the course of the weekend and leading up to. I'm in no way discrediting anyones efforts, so don't take my opinion as a dig. Place has become a top notch facility. Just know that I heard enough on Sunday to know I'm not the only one thinking a little extra maintenance Sunday would have made for a better track. I'm not saying full prep either. Just maintenance. I'm just one of the few that will actually share an opinion after actually riding the track. Heard Saturday was good from the same people talking about Sunday if that means anything.

I have nothing negative to say about the program as a whole tho. Ran smoothly from sign up, to Todd's announcing, to pulling out at a decent time being second to last moto! Was home and washed quite early.

I can't wrap my head around the "this is Lorettas" qualifier crap.. Lorettas is nothing like Malvern and Malvern is nothing like Lorettas, and they never will be alike. Apples to oranges. Racing surface and elevation dictates that. The 200' of sand is the only part of Malvern even comparable to Lorettas. Not to mention 4 lap races aren't too beneficial for Lorettas practice if that's what we're after. Better off hammering 40s somewhere than riding 8 laps on a different surface than Lorettas. Can't compare what were talking about to any of the tracks mentioned either Jeff. You know I've got lots of laps at those places too.

There were really only two sections that needed attention in my opinion. From the first corner to the take off of the first little step up, and the bottom before the uphill triple. Everywhere else was tolerable, and I'll elaborate below by breaking down sections. I understand we need a certain amount of roughness to slow down areas. To be honest, I love the layout right now because it's fun to RIDE. However, I do not enjoy racing it in it's current state because it's sketchy fast. The uphill triple is sick, I love it, but I'm not hitting something 4th on it while in traffic. Even when I don't hit it, it's a scary feeling hearing someone behind you not letting off lol.. You don't hit ANYTHING in 4th at Lorettas except maybe the first curve on the start straight. Hell, not even loraccos leap needs 4th. Again, fun as hell, but sketchy in a race environment. I'll attach a pic of the same big jump, but not in a race environment. Wasn't scared of it lol..

The first two corners were stupid, and dare I say, slot car-ish. Mainly because it was the first two corners! The ruts before the first little step up were really soft early in the day and could've easily been scraped with the dozer.

The low spot before the big uphill was just obvious. If some fast guys didn't bitch tho, it probably would have been left as well.

The stuff out by the road was all pretty good. Couple sick lines in the far corner by water truck. Little sketchy on that off camber inside table thingy and the first outside line was a slot car line, but again, id call this area tolerable. In-between those two sections you had the table. I kept choosing the inside deep lines and seat bouncing the table. Wasnt horrible just a little slick in there..

Sand area was knarly but definitely acceptable, as was the area from the landing of the triple to the finish.

I'm with John tho. The Nationals last year that weren't as deep and saw a little more maintenance played out to be much better racing. Same thing applies well to amateur racing. If we dive deeper into this, ruts at a national may be knarly, but they're good solid lines. Not some squiggly blown out amateur ruts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210911-223325.png
    Screenshot_20210911-223325.png
    564.5 KB · Views: 101

Meister

PR Founding Father
Here's "rough" steel city of yesteryear as reference..
s600_6AFB4F1B_8B65_49E7_A8C9_769E6C3FF796.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: