Malvern AQ

Meister

PR Founding Father
THIS is Moto!
Screenshot_20220516-164711.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Meister

PR Founding Father
Here's a crazy rough 2003 high point reed ferry pass!

The illusion that it used to be way rougher is what drives this new age gotta be rough mentality.. not saying here and there it didn't get exceptionally rough, but more often than not it was accel and decel bumps and a few good lines in corners..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220516-171516.png
    Screenshot_20220516-171516.png
    724.9 KB · Views: 62

hershey

PR Elite
Here's a crazy rough 2003 high point reed ferry pass!

The illusion that it used to be way rougher is what drives this new age gotta be rough mentality.. not saying here and there it didn't get exceptionally rough, but more often than not it was accel and decel bumps and a few good lines in corners..
Those tracks aren't rough. It's funny you say the more prepped track, the better the racing. What I see and hear from the riders that I follow is its too fast and difficult to pass. Sure the racing is closer because the more talented guys don't have a track to separate them from the mediocre guys. The year Tomac broke both arms the tracks were really rough, I might even say too much. But Tomac was asked specifically if it was the rough track and he said no. He said he wasn't even pushing hard to win by 1 or 2 mins a race. He straight up said it was a freak thing.

Personally I used to hate ruts because I grew up racing CRA tracks that had a zillion quads in the 90s. Flat track racing with dust berms and jumps. Now having raced all over the Midwest and east I would rather have a track like sunday than Saturday any day of the week. Sunday was safer because the speeds were slower. I've learned how to race in ruts and rough and find I can race with riders much easier and have more fun on technical tracks than freeways. I'm not saying leave things unsafe but Malvern wasn't dangerous at all. If my kid on an 85 said the track wasn't bad on Sunday, what are you grown people complaining about? The track git an inch of rain in an hour Saturday night, I'm amazed it wasn't far worse.

Meister

PR Founding Father
Ahh, another favorite saying... "If my kid"... Lol.. incase you weren't aware, your kid is no slouch now!

You know me too, and know I've ridden my fair share of rough. Maybe I'm being a bitch, but those two sections of the track needed addressed to create better and safer racing. Track did turn out much dryer than I thought it would! It made it where sections COULD be maintained.. if you read again what I wrote, the one section was addressed, even tho it was only once I believe. The other section, the first two turns, needed love too, because 30 guys going into a wall of ruts was sketch.

John250

PR Founding Father
I rode high point, Red Bud, Loretta's in the late 80s and early 90s. They did not get as rough as East Fork on a normal 500 entry race. That's just fact. Red Buds surface is totally changed since then.

Everyone has opinions, and my opinion is the best national racing last year and the most fun to watch were the rounds like millville and Colorado that were not near as slot car and rough. The TV commentators even mentioned it during the broadcast of the races.

And besides, pros are one thing, amateurs are just that....amateurs that 99% will never make a dime.

pape718

PR Member
That's the cool part I suppose. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's also where people can get salty if they're affiliated with the facility and hear a differing opinion, which I hope doesn't happen with this post lol.. Jeff, I'm absolutely sure that you had a couple chest thumping parents who don't ride come up and say to skip prep. Of course they want little johnny to be the next jett Lawrence on rough tracks. I saw probably the same couple parents post on FB. I always laugh when it's mini parents saying that stuff who won't be stepping foot on the track. I heard more complaining about how rutty it got than anyone singing praises. I also understand the effort you, Bobby, and the crew put in over the course of the weekend and leading up to. I'm in no way discrediting anyones efforts, so don't take my opinion as a dig. Place has become a top notch facility. Just know that I heard enough on Sunday to know I'm not the only one thinking a little extra maintenance Sunday would have made for a better track. I'm not saying full prep either. Just maintenance. I'm just one of the few that will actually share an opinion after actually riding the track. Heard Saturday was good from the same people talking about Sunday if that means anything.

I have nothing negative to say about the program as a whole tho. Ran smoothly from sign up, to Todd's announcing, to pulling out at a decent time being second to last moto! Was home and washed quite early.

I can't wrap my head around the "this is Lorettas" qualifier crap.. Lorettas is nothing like Malvern and Malvern is nothing like Lorettas, and they never will be alike. Apples to oranges. Racing surface and elevation dictates that. The 200' of sand is the only part of Malvern even comparable to Lorettas. Not to mention 4 lap races aren't too beneficial for Lorettas practice if that's what we're after. Better off hammering 40s somewhere than riding 8 laps on a different surface than Lorettas. Can't compare what were talking about to any of the tracks mentioned either Jeff. You know I've got lots of laps at those places too.

There were really only two sections that needed attention in my opinion. From the first corner to the take off of the first little step up, and the bottom before the uphill triple. Everywhere else was tolerable, and I'll elaborate below by breaking down sections. I understand we need a certain amount of roughness to slow down areas. To be honest, I love the layout right now because it's fun to RIDE. However, I do not enjoy racing it in it's current state because it's sketchy fast. The uphill triple is sick, I love it, but I'm not hitting something 4th on it while in traffic. Even when I don't hit it, it's a scary feeling hearing someone behind you not letting off lol.. You don't hit ANYTHING in 4th at Lorettas except maybe the first curve on the start straight. Hell, not even loraccos leap needs 4th. Again, fun as hell, but sketchy in a race environment. I'll attach a pic of the same big jump, but not in a race environment. Wasn't scared of it lol..

The first two corners were stupid, and dare I say, slot car-ish. Mainly because it was the first two corners! The ruts before the first little step up were really soft early in the day and could've easily been scraped with the dozer.

The low spot before the big uphill was just obvious. If some fast guys didn't bitch tho, it probably would have been left as well.

The stuff out by the road was all pretty good. Couple sick lines in the far corner by water truck. Little sketchy on that off camber inside table thingy and the first outside line was a slot car line, but again, id call this area tolerable. In-between those two sections you had the table. I kept choosing the inside deep lines and seat bouncing the table. Wasnt horrible just a little slick in there..

Sand area was knarly but definitely acceptable, as was the area from the landing of the triple to the finish.

I'm with John tho. The Nationals last year that weren't as deep and saw a little more maintenance played out to be much better racing. Same thing applies well to amateur racing. If we dive deeper into this, ruts at a national may be knarly, but they're good solid lines. Not some squiggly blown out amateur

Ahh, another favorite saying... "If my kid"... Lol.. incase you weren't aware, your kid is no slouch now!

You know me too, and know I've ridden my fair share of rough. Maybe I'm being a bitch, but those two sections of the track needed addressed to create better and safer racing. Track did turn out much dryer than I thought it would! It made it where sections COULD be maintained.. if you read again what I wrote, the one section was addressed, even tho it was only once I believe. The other section, the first two turns, needed love too, because 30 guys going into a wall of ruts was sketch.
I forgot you were a big superstar you jumped larocco leaps all you do cry and bitch on here if you got a problem with the track why don't you go talk to the track owner but you don't you hide on the key board, and as far as affiliated with the track I get paid to run the water truck it's a job these are my opinions. I raced the track you have sat on the couch 3 months any track going to feel rough. I raced the Tomahawk qualifier in March it was way rougher then Malvern was.

MX315

PR Addict
Hey.....how about the C class at Malvern. Any of them wearing neck braces?
This is always the number one ? John250 Did you happen to make it sat or Sun? I was looking for you!! I have a bucket list this year. Meet john250 is one of them !

Meister

PR Founding Father
I forgot you were a big superstar you jumped larocco leaps all you do cry and bitch on here if you got a problem with the track why don't you go talk to the track owner but you don't you hide on the key board, and as far as affiliated with the track I get paid to run the water truck it's a job these are my opinions. I raced the track you have sat on the couch 3 months any track going to feel rough. I raced the Tomahawk qualifier in March it was way rougher then Malvern was.

Lol, I figured you'd say something dumb like that. Anytime anyone has a differing opinion on here you come out swinging.. lol... but, hey, I was at the tower looking for Bobby to recommend a clean up on isle 3 before the triple at the same time they started discing it. You can ask Nate. I've got no problem telling Bobby or any of the track personnel my thoughts to whoever's face. I respect Bobby and I feel like he values people's opinions, I just couldn't find him at the time and then once I saw the tractor heading out, I left it at that..

Carlisle

PR Member
Snowflakes!!!!!! Welcome to the new “Merica”. Little Johnny should also get a trophy for last place!

Toddco327

PR Addict
This is always the number one ? John250 Did you happen to make it sat or Sun? I was looking for you!! I have a bucket list this year. Meet john250 is one of them !
I got to meet his son! Super nice kid. Really tall. And that’s coming from someone who’s tall!!

A lot of the riders from the East were there because englishtown was rained out.

Also Brandon at DH1 mods might be one of the nicest people ever. There was a rider from MI that blew up his motor and needed some gaskets. Brandon had them and helped the guy put his motor back together. The guy was ready to drive 6hrs home to get them and bring them back. The rider was so thankful I happened to be over there when it was going down. Just shows you how tight a family everyone in moto is.

JB19

PR Member
I logged in for the first time in years just to say that the track on Sunday was in prime condition. The ruts were challenging. I didn't think it was really that rough, more soft and sticky. I raced 40+ and let everyone go in 30+ and rode laps. It isn't often that you get to put in laps on a track in that condition. I'm all about separating riders with challenging conditions rather than big jumps. I haven't raced Loretta's in years, but if you think Malvern was bad don't even ride the regional because Loretta's gets twice as bad.

John250

PR Founding Father
I will catch you at a race some time. Matthew was there but I was not.

Matthew likes rough tracks. They suit him and when others start getting tired he usually gets them, his conditioning is getting really good. It probably scares me more than him when I see him hit big booters that all all rutted up and sketchy. Trust me, I tell him all the time, you don't have to hit it.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
Problem is no matter how rough the track is and how rutted it is you gotta do what you need to do to go fast. I was top 5 in Collegeboy with 10 a dudes in Collegeboy and everyone in front of me is jumping it so I had to too. Yes it is my choice to jump it and take the chance but if the ruts on the face were addressed before the first motos I probably wouldn’t be sitting here talking about it or the one kid I saw break definitely his leg and get transported. Or gooding crashing hard in the ruts at the bottom right before it. Ruts and letting the track get rough is great but when it is a safety hazard with them in a certain area they need fixed. It would take not even 5 minutes to just roll it in when the ruts were so bad. Which they did do for the second motos and it was way safer

jj584

PR Addict
Problem is no matter how rough the track is and how rutted it is you gotta do what you need to do to go fast. I was top 5 in Collegeboy with 10 a dudes in Collegeboy and everyone in front of me is jumping it so I had to too. Yes it is my choice to jump it and take the chance but if the ruts on the face were addressed before the first motos I probably wouldn’t be sitting here talking about it or the one kid I saw break definitely his leg and get transported. Or gooding crashing hard in the ruts at the bottom right before it. Ruts and letting the track get rough is great but when it is a safety hazard with them in a certain area they need fixed. It would take not even 5 minutes to just roll it in when the ruts were so bad. Which they did do for the second motos and it was way safer
How was it compared to log road?

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
How was it compared to log road?
Compared to log road the track at log road was rutted in the corners and had huge breaking bumps but we’re in spots where they should be expected. The biggest two jumps on the track at log road neither one had deep ruts on them. Track was equally as rough as malvern but definitely more safer on the jumps. I like it rough but when your going so fast and hitting such a big jump it’s dangerous and whether I crashed or not I would still sit here and say it’s not safe cause it isn’t