Ohio motocross end of year opinions

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
So the season is over. I’d say down in southern Ohio the buckeye series was a success. Always a good amount of entries. This is the first year I haven’t went north to race. Reason is I didn’t feel the reason to go race 2-3 hours away with only 3-4 dudes. So what’s next for Ohio motocross. The north has 3 organizations but obviously we can see it doesn’t work. I know many people who have said the same thing as me and didn’t find it worth it. So what’s next. What is going to be different??

All electric. Double points. More laps. Less time at the track. More races. Less weekends of racing. Better dirt. Less dirt. More sand. Deeper ruts. No ruts. No memberships. Only AMA. Plus 25vet C no double classes. Less classes. More vet classes. No generator, solar panel only charging. Free hookups for everyone.

2024 looks good!!!

I think the year was tough. I think the blip of everyone buying bikes and racing from Covid has died down. People are back to their normal. OMA had their races and Viva had theirs. I think both had ups and downs. Whether it was weather or scheduling they still had their series and the people that showed up had fun. I think MERP was good and everyone that attended it enjoyed the format.

What a truly believe is that moto as a whole has changed faster than the people who make up a large part of it. The days of showing up to race the fast guys has changed. Now the fast guys are at training camps. Why pay to race the fast guys when you can train with the fast guys. With that said most people then only hit the “big” races. Races sponsored by Vurbmoto or a mini O’s/qualifier type of race. That’s where the fast guys go to race.

The GNCC crowd is huge and we are lucky in this area to have some of those big races relatively close. So a lot of those woods riders will attend that verse a MX race

Overall I still say it was a tough year but there are a lot of positives for everyone involved. It’s just hard to put a pulse on what the next move is since the dynamic has changed so much and so fast.

I did less mx this year than the previous 2, but raced some D-12, raced VetFest at Redbud & raced mx during Vintage days at MidOhio. All were fun and well run with good weather...that's a super plus! I was unavailable for the MERP races, but I did the one Sandusky Valley Riders held and I had lots of fun (but small turnout). I hope the MERP stays strong & expands a bit (include SVR?) & I will be putting a couple more of those on my schedule for 2024. My daughter's wedding and a fabulous street bike trip to Yellowstone took up spots for my normal trails trip up to Wolverine (Tomahawk trail system)...I will be getting that back on next year's schedule too! I look forward to getting back to Jimmy's indoor at Rte 62 over the winter months...maybe as more than just the spectator tagging along with one of my young buddies. I'm happy with the still plentiful options we have for motocross all over Ohio and glad there are some forward looking persons in charge in and at some of my favorite haunts. With that said, I hope this winter gives us plenty of ice...my 150f tires are already studded up & I'm ready for the pond!

I think the year was tough. I think the blip of everyone buying bikes and racing from Covid has died down. People are back to their normal. OMA had their races and Viva had theirs. I think both had ups and downs. Whether it was weather or scheduling they still had their series and the people that showed up had fun. I think MERP was good and everyone that attended it enjoyed the format.

What a truly believe is that moto as a whole has changed faster than the people who make up a large part of it. The days of showing up to race the fast guys has changed. Now the fast guys are at training camps. Why pay to race the fast guys when you can train with the fast guys. With that said most people then only hit the “big” races. Races sponsored by Vurbmoto or a mini O’s/qualifier type of race. That’s where the fast guys go to race.

The GNCC crowd is huge and we are lucky in this area to have some of those big races relatively close. So a lot of those woods riders will attend that verse a MX race

Overall I still say it was a tough year but there are a lot of positives for everyone involved. It’s just hard to put a pulse on what the next move is since the dynamic has changed so much and so fast.
Hit the nail on the head. I would rather travel 4+ hours and spend a little extra on fuel to race 3+ hours and have stu Baylor scream at me as I’m being lapped, VS spending more $ at a local Mx race only to ride my bike a total of 30 minutes, but spend 12 hours at the track. It costs me $80 to get in and run a 3 hour gncc race. It would cost me damn near the same to run a local race. Gncc/merp/eroc you get more bang for your buck and it’s more technical than racing a Mx race.

I have pretty much been everywhere this year trying out new tracks and rode many qualifiers/ regionals then some local races. Seems to me the mindset changes depending on the location of the person. Racing the buckeye series I would race 3-4 dudes that all made it to LL this year and every class outside of mine always had tons of entries, the youth classes are super fast and look good for the future. So to me racing the buckeye series is worth it but also is very close for me. Just like I said I just can’t see the reason to waste time and money to go ride tracks I love but only race one or two dudes just doesn’t seem worth it when I can train with fast buddies down here. I just hope next year there’s more middle ground up north and makes it worth it for me to make it back up there. This year I didn’t get a chance to ride the MERP series but man it’s killing it. The people and entries are consistently increasing and marketing is done perfectly. It’s basically taking over the north to me.

Ohio motocross is a shadow of what it used to be!!! I raced in the 80’s when it was only cra or ama! Racing was great and exciting. The triathalon was always fun back then and that was cra only. 3 different kinds of racing. All weekend. Flat track, hares ramble and motocross all combined. Now it’s just gay. Seems none of the track owners can get together and agree on anything. I get it times are tough but we all make sacrifices!!!! The track owners that are in it for themselves and know everything and aren’t willing to bend or sacrifice are hurting Ohio moto!!! I’m sure not one owner will take blame. I also understand that back in the day there weren’t multiple tracks offering open practice on the weekends when there were races. The best part is ama runs motocross and the fact that there is no more certain district in the state of Ohio as far as I know that runs ama races is hilarious!!! Where’s the district 12 tracks Or district 11?? There’s oma(gay) and viva(cough) cra? Gone!! Wtf?

I think the only way Ohio Motocross grows is for the tracks to Unite. Buckeye series is very competitive with large entries in all classes. With the series allowing you to drop 2-3 races through out the year so the kids missing races for qualifiers or nationals can still be part of there local series. I think the Buckeye series is by far the premier series in the State but there is defiantly room for growth. I would love to see some of the northern tracks join the series, this would bring them exposure from the southern riders following the series and bring the northern riders to the southern tracks and overall create a growing Ohio Mx series. I believe to be part of the series tracks need to be held to a high standard also, everyone knows the tracks that put the effort and time in to give you the best possible race conditions vs the tracks that seem to have know idea of what's going on or enough equipment to properly maintain a track. In my mind having 7 premier tracks having 2 races each through out the year for a 14 round series would be ideal, but I understand with the money these promoters invest into the tracks two races isn't enough income to make the money they need so you are always going to have tracks racing on top of one another dividing the entries. If they could all come together and make a premier series and then agree to not to hold any races that conflict with the series schedule would make for some very large gates with highly competitive racing

OMA and Buckeye Series tried to combine for the Battle Series and even that did not really work. You could have the two best tracks to the north, and the Buckeye Series regulars would travel further to race treaty shitty or COCR, because it was "buckeye" race than go to a excellent track to the north. I will never understand. I swear it is like they don't think they are allowed north of I-70 (except for treaty shitty). Honestly, as many racers that are in Ohio, the 4 race Buckeye Series should have drawn 700 riders to each of the four tracks. Makes zero sense to me.

But even in Florida, the Winter Am races used to be huge. Go look at last years numbers on the gates. Most are way smaller than a local east fork race for sure.

Trying to race separate series is tough I chose this year not to race any series as a whole and rode different tracks this year and had a blast. Got back to Briarcliff track was awesome got back to Beans track was a blast unfortunately didn’t make Malvern this year Or Sandusky valley. I have no problem driving to any of the tracks in Ohio if a good close track isn’t on same weekend . This has been going on since district 11 and 12 days will never change not enough weekends for everyone to get the weekends they want but would be amazing if they could work somewhat together. But I also get that people that live in Akron area don’t want to drive 4 hours to eastfork and people in Cincinnati don’t want to drive to Malvern. Thankfully I’m central located. But I do believe a lot of us miss out on some great tracks

I think a step in the right direction is 2 total entities. North and South. Break out the old D11-D12 map. It doesn't necessarily have to be called that, just use it for the boundary lines. Everyone (track/event location) gets up to 2 events, you can do 1 if you choose. Beyond that they make up there own internal points series, their own deal. Paging Mike Burkeen.

I would agree with Daryl Green. The Buckeye Series has the reputation, however it needs more tracks. As Caup said there is 4 to 5 fast kids in every class compared to the north maybe 2 or 3. I understand not everyone is a Lorett Lynn chaser but I do believe everyone wants to get better. Ohio years ago was the Mecca of Mx and we lost that. There are many really good tracks in Ohio and seems there is always schedule conflicts. Me, I am Ohio proud and I would rather travel 3 hrs to stay in Ohio where my money supports local business, rather, than support communities in other states.

For us this year had nothing to do with racing and all to do with baseball, but even more to do with being out of a job for a month and without pay for 2 months. We'll see what next year holds. More baseball for sure which is #1 reason MX gets the shaft. If I could pay or afford to make it work, we definitely would. Distance isn't a major issue, but when push comes to shove, it makes more a difference. We made it to quite a few Night Series races last year with all of the above going on, but absolutely non this year...for maybe obvious reasons.

I'm really not a fan of having the 3 different sancioning bodies in Ohio...especially the two up my way, but is what it is. It may have an influence to why we don't race, but will not be the reason. We'll see how the winter goes. Decent ability to ride this winter within 30 minutes of our house. Sure, would like a January trip down a little further south, but not likely. Maybe I'll hit Vet Fest next year... Who's in? ;)

For us this year had nothing to do with racing and all to do with baseball, but even more to do with being out of a job for a month and without pay for 2 months. We'll see what next year holds. More baseball for sure which is #1 reason MX gets the shaft. If I could pay or afford to make it work, we definitely would. Distance isn't a major issue, but when push comes to shove, it makes more a difference. We made it to quite a few Night Series races last year with all of the above going on, but absolutely non this year...for maybe obvious reasons.

I'm really not a fan of having the 3 different sancioning bodies in Ohio...especially the two up my way, but is what it is. It may have an influence to why we don't race, but will not be the reason. We'll see how the winter goes. Decent ability to ride this winter within 30 minutes of our house. Sure, would like a January trip down a little further south, but not likely. Maybe I'll hit Vet Fest next year... Who's in? ;)
Begs the question. What do you look for in a sanctioning body? Why don’t 2 of the 3 fit your needs? What needs aren’t being met?

It’s a great conversation to have. Sometimes small tweaks can have a lasting effect. Does it make it worth while to have all bodies work together? Are less races more? Does a sanction even matter and does everyone just go rogue?

seems most dont care about scantioning body anymore. im pretty selective when I want to race, if im racing i want a good track and big turn out.

if im taking my kid, its whatever fits into our schedule at the time.

always lots of options in ohio and with costs of things and such where they are at, I imagine most are going for bang for their buck or most convenience, over chasing points in a series etc.

Do certain tracks matter? What’s the top track in Ohio as far as racing ?
Top track in Ohio for racing is probably East Fork right now. Top track for facility and drawing a crowd is CTMX, it's like an event all the time. Top track for prep will always be Briar Cliff, near perfect every time.

But if your racing and you want competition, and large gates, has to be East Fork.

Back