Ohio motocross end of year opinions

Begs the question. What do you look for in a sanctioning body? Why don’t 2 of the 3 fit your needs? What needs aren’t being met?

It’s a great conversation to have. Sometimes small tweaks can have a lasting effect. Does it make it worth while to have all bodies work together? Are less races more? Does a sanction even matter and does everyone just go rogue?
Yeah, I guess it's not the multiple sanctioning bodies as much as they are all doing their own thing it feels like. They each think they can out do the other. Unity to an extent would go a long way I feel.

The one thing I feel is it separates the riders in Ohio and possibly creates less riders on the gate for races that run the same weekend. I dunno. I wasn't a part of the MX scene this year so I really don't have a say. I guess I just remember D-11 back in the day and with all of it's issues, I thought it was great. Of course we had more than 3 sanctioning bodies back then I think...lol.

Good point Toddy...

Do certain tracks matter? What’s the top track in Ohio as far as racing ?
For racing purposes the top track right now is Eastfork and chillitown. No one is topping the entries in Ohio compared to the races there. I’ve paid pretty close attention to all the series and the closest behind the buckeye series is by far MERP, then viva and d12 as their about the same then oma. Entries tell the story. More series to choose from= less racers. Buckeye series is so hot because we have one choice pretty much and it’s either race that series or you’re driving 2 1/2 hours plus. One thing you do realize though is when the people wanna skip races they skip the tracks that take the least amount of care of the track or they don’t like.

Also if I was up north I would combine the d12 and viva and it would become the new north series and the bottom is the buckeye series

OMA is about done unfortunately. I would love to see JO drop it and have Briar Cliff join the Buckeye Series.

Briarcliff is done! I agree. Owner I met 1 time was a complete inconsiderate not a nice guy! It’s his way or the highway!! Guess the highway is close!! Crappy layout unless you ride four wheelers. Nice dirt though. Zero elevation changes and a crappy attitude!! Good luck Mr Osborne!!

Briarcliff is done! I agree. Owner I met 1 time was a complete inconsiderate not a nice guy! It’s his way or the highway!! Guess the highway is close!! Crappy layout unless you ride four wheelers. Nice dirt though. Zero elevation changes and a crappy attitude!! Good luck Mr Osborne!!
Not nice at all, but the dirt is good! Sounds like a good T shirt! Thanks buddy. I’ll put that on the next run so someone else around Ohio can copy it. 100%.

Guess to each their own. BC was always one of my favorite tracks to race. And I always liked the high speed layouts. Those were fun tracks that had some nice jumps on them. JO is always on point with prep, and practice started and boom, they were racing before most tracks are half way through practice. He always had layouts that allowed that next moto to get rolling right away to to keep the races rolling. I also don't mind a personality that says if you don't like it, take your business to someone else. I know another guy like that, and people flock to his business because it is the best around. He knows it, and if others don't like it, they can go to one of the inferior options.

Guess to each their own. BC was always one of my favorite tracks to race. And I always liked the high speed layouts. Those were fun tracks that had some nice jumps on them. JO is always on point with prep, and practice started and boom, they were racing before most tracks are half way through practice. He always had layouts that allowed that next moto to get rolling right away to to keep the races rolling. I also don't mind a personality that says if you don't like it, take your business to someone else. I know another guy like that, and people flock to his business because it is the best around. He knows it, and if others don't like it, they can go to one of the inferior options.
I will refer back to my favorite advice ever given to me by a pitracer posse member. For extra credit can you name this guy:

(I may have jumbled this some, it was roughly 12-14 years ago)

“This is your place, you make the rules. If they don’t like it, fuk em, they can get out”

I’m not saying that’s 100% how I run it, but there’s quite a bit of truth in how you have to, or you’ll get ran over. To put that in context, that was after life flight two that weekend or maybe it was the second week in a row, I don’t recall, but it had been a rough go and that was my pep talk advice!! Ha ha, legend.

Hershey......aka DHDS01?
Negative. It would probably go something like "well if you had let me do all the electric down here this wouldn't have happened"

I didn't know that Don Kenworthy Jr. was a member here back then.
LOL, no but I'm supposed to link up with him sometime next year. A mutual friend knows him well enough, that we might get him to the track sometime next year to ride a little.

This guy is a core PR member.

I will refer back to my favorite advice ever given to me by a pitracer posse member. For extra credit can you name this guy:

(I may have jumbled this some, it was roughly 12-14 years ago)

“This is your place, you make the rules. If they don’t like it, fuk em, they can get out”

I’m not saying that’s 100% how I run it, but there’s quite a bit of truth in how you have to, or you’ll get ran over. To put that in context, that was after life flight two that weekend or maybe it was the second week in a row, I don’t recall, but it had been a rough go and that was my pep talk advice!! Ha ha, legend.
I actually have heard from.many people that you've told them that. Maybe that's why your numbers have been down?

Hershey......aka DHDS01?
Nah. While you definitely have to have that mind set to a point, there is a correct way to address those situations and still keep riders. One thing I will definitely praise Plessinger for, he is always friendly to everyone, listens to what they have to say, takes suggestions without getting butt hurt then does what he thinks is best any way. Look where his turnouts have turned, way up.

As far as sanctioning body complaints. Was shootin the chit with the ole Brit Adam chatfield….he’s my age. Last time I raced him was at mini os when we were like 15. Same results. Him top 5 me mid pack back then as well ha.

Anyway, linked up quite a bit down there. He liked my pitbike and kid transport trailer tow behind at the ice cream roundabout (I think that ice cream shop made my years salary in one week) and we got to talkin quite a bit about Amatuer racing scene and how it differs across the pond.

He was saying there’s Multiple sanctioning bodies with nobody working together…(sounds eerily familiar right ?!) spreads all the riders thin. Hard to find good competition in that regard. MXGP still has the choke hold. But the Amatuer scene sucks and you really can only get fierce competition in the states on Amatuer side.

IMG_2103.jpeg
IMG_2101.jpeg

Agree with the comments in this thread on being very selective on the events attended. Going for most bang for buck and most competition. Best part of the big events is just you’re always battling someone, somewhere on the track. No matter if you got a good start, or bad. Or crash or don’t crash. You’re always just pushing and being pushed. Hard to find that locally WHEN YA GOT 30+ and 30+ B/C. ok I’ll stop…but with the age classes drop the ABC. pack the gates. But the local series guys seemingly want some Instagram photo and #1 plate and the national chasers just want their ass handed to them or a very competitive atmosphere with more focus on improving process than actual finish position.I’m very critical of myself and I get no satisfaction winning against 3 guys and for 4-5 laps we were nowhere close to each other anyway. Might as well just go to open practice.

Last edited:
So does this guy ship his bike across the pond, rent a van and go race? Come over and buy a bike and then sell it? Or does he live state side? Always wonder about these guys from foreign counties at amateur events.

So does this guy ship his bike across the pond, rent a van and go race? Come over and buy a bike and then sell it? Or does he live state side? Always wonder about these guys from foreign counties at amateur events.
And that something I didn’t even ask. I did notice that his address is listed out of California though he did say he flew over. He has a two-year-old son and his wife not really into the moto life stuff. Didn’t wanna make the trip with the kid either. But I definitely get that because it’s tough. I got a five year old and a three year old girl and it’s a full-time job all week keeping them entertained and then trying to race.

I would imagine he’s got some good connections in the states and probably didn’t ship a bike because he had some California shop graphics on it. I don’t know definitely shipping your bikes and stuff Hass to be crazy. I mean I know just shipping military equipment and making port call is madness. And to do it privately is probably even more difficult.

Back