2024 SX Thread

By far the best race this whole year. Funny enough I was watching at the track and fell asleep between the interviews after the 250s and the 450 main so watched it Sunday morning. Gotta love Webbs comment that was hilarious. Wonder how much ama going to fine him lol

So I went down the YouTube rabbit hole last night and was watching Bar to Bar 2012. I noticed how noticeably different the tracks looked. A fraction of the ruts in jump faces and even between jumps. What’s changed? Bikes are the same, 4 strokes. Speeds are the same, in fact it’s still some of the same riders (lights guys to 450 now).

So my question is why are the tracks so terrible today with ruts across every face and between every jump? But I’m 2012 it looks like the complete opposite.

So I went down the YouTube rabbit hole last night and was watching Bar to Bar 2012. I noticed how noticeably different the tracks looked. A fraction of the ruts in jump faces and even between jumps. What’s changed? Bikes are the same, 4 strokes. Speeds are the same, in fact it’s still some of the same riders (lights guys to 450 now).

So my question is why are the tracks so terrible today with ruts across every face and between every jump? But I’m 2012 it looks like the complete opposite.

Pretty big discussion on vital about it. Some are saying that after limegate happened, we started seeing this because ama said no more lime. Some also say they arent packing jumps with loaders anymore to make tear down easier.

Cant convince me it's the bikes.

This doubles over into local stuff too.. ripping too deep and watering too much creates a great place for slot cars. I'm all for ruts, but not 50'+ long ruts down 3rd gear straight aways. Assuming goal is less watering/prep through the day, but id rather have some dust in motocross than a mine field you have to tip toe around. It'll come back around tho once track preppers realize theyre losing business. The 10% of people thay claim they like it are the 10% that want to go to lorettas and have to mentally prepare for the shitty conditions they now have there. It really only matters for maybe 3% tho because no body else is going anywhere other than to work on Monday. Lol

JO did a light prep the past couple weeks and the track looked drool worthy. Hes on to something.

Pretty big discussion on vital about it. Some are saying that after limegate happened, we started seeing this because ama said no more lime. Some also say they arent packing jumps with loaders anymore to make tear down easier.

Cant convince me it's the bikes.

This doubles over into local stuff too.. ripping too deep and watering too much creates a great place for slot cars. I'm all for ruts, but not 50'+ long ruts down 3rd gear straight aways. Assuming goal is less watering/prep through the day, but id rather have some dust in motocross than a mine field you have to tip toe around. It'll come back around tho once track preppers realize theyre losing business. The 10% of people thay claim they like it are the 10% that want to go to lorettas and have to mentally prepare for the shitty conditions they now have there. It really only matters for maybe 3% tho because no body else is going anywhere other than to work on Monday. Lol

JO did a light prep the past couple weeks and the track looked drool worthy. Hes on to something.
Totally agree on ruts being over the top on the local scene!

As you mentioned, the last 2 rides at BC were good (IMO) due to not ripping and watering to the point that things rutted up and were muddy. Yet. I still saw a few guys on FB complaining that it was dusty and hard pack. Part of that was due to wind and quads but I far prefer that to riding ruts all day. I've heard a number of folks say they aren't going back to RT 62s outdoor track due to the extent that the track gets ripped deep and then over watered to the point that it's mud and ruts all day.

Rt. 62 and East Fork think it's super awesome to have a slot car track around the whole track. I laugh, place like Lincoln do the same thing. Post photos, "look what you missed out on". When I see them, I think yep, happy I was not there. JO does an awesome job at BC. Probably why it is one of my favorite tracks. Awesome dirt, usually watered perfect. Traction and yet not a clot car track.

Hey JO might have prepped it light but boy when he wants to he know how to make it gnarly. Granted it rained before this practice day last year I rode practice on Friday before the qualifier and man that was the gnarliest and roughest and ruttest bcliff I’ve ever rode ever and it sucked. But then go back a bit more when I raced the regional there it was rough don’t get me wrong but it wasn’t insane and was very raceable. There’s that perfect mix of rough and rutted but racey still and anymore most tracks are on the extreme of one side or the other. I never made it to 62 outdoors last year and I love that place but I will say I’d much rather race there than practice. The reason behind it for me is everytime I practice there it’s really rutted and muddy but when I race it’s prime time and very racey while being rough and rutted still. I feel maybe some tracks do it on purpose on practice days to possibly slow people down. Going to all the big races I’ve learned I needed to get better at riding the shitty rutted tracks so honestly I don’t mind them as much as long as it’s not dangerous. Lincoln trail was gnarly but safe in the fast areas

I rode 62 a handful of times last year and not once did i think it was overkill on the ruts. Idk if I’ve gotten more used to them running them damn gncc races or what, but ruts don’t intimidate me like they used to.

I rode 62 a handful of times last year and not once did i think it was overkill on the ruts. Idk if I’ve gotten more used to them running them damn gncc races or what, but ruts don’t intimidate me like they used to.
I can see to a beginner or novice rider though how they could view the deep ruts it develops. Just like you riding gnccs once you get so used to the gnarly conditions nothing really intimates you anymore especially on tracks you have rode or been to before

Back