Winter Projects Re-re-re-re-visited

Finalized a new adoption about a week ago. 1980 RM125.

Pretty much ready go, Eric Gorr motor, Jemco full exhaust, Works Shocks, Race-Tech front, Excel rims. Just need to go over it, tune it, etc.

This will be Kari's race bike!

1980rm125b.jpg

1980rm125c.jpg

Well it's getting to be that time of year again! Knox already has his 125 project going on in the main forum.

I finally tossed some numbers on the 1980 RM125. I'm hoping to really put a dent into some winter projects this off season, how about anyone else?

View attachment 53621
When do you want me to drop off my 79 RM? Or would you rather do my 77?

Seems a bit early to be starting "WINTER" projects, just returned form a AR/OK AHRMA road trip. Two more events before winter, next up Moberly MO, in two weeks and one of the best vintage MX weekends of the year, in my opinion, RIO BRAVO in Houston November 11-13, and then its officially winter. "VINTAGE WINTER" only lasts until February 25 when the 2017 season kicks off in Florida.

Old guys need to maximize their riding days before it becomes winter forever.........

Not motorized, but a Kawasaki. Started my ultimate VMX pit bike project: Kawasaki BX200. Doing a 79 KX inspired resto-mod on it. A cool piece of BMX history, David Clinton won the first NBL National BMX Championship on one of these in 1975(with rigid rear shocks).
IMG_20161017_1132579261_zpsotpar0ow.jpg

Down with the sickness. Someone needs to ban everyone within driving range of me from having old bikes from the 80's for sale.

" Driving Range" WTF.... MotoJason sits at home in Michigan scouring the central Ohio Craig's Lists and sends his "campaign manager" out to the hood to pick up KX's and miscellaneous "green Pieces"

Ha, yeah I've been there before scouring the world for "must have bikes and parts" but at this point I have no projects like that. I just enjoy nice, clean, unmolested bikes somewhat close to home.

Nice score John. I think I remember that was a great bike that year. Start looking for an NOS chain guard and mud guard for the linkage! Will look brand new. Although you might know how to make the ones on there look like new?

Nice score. Complete with kickstand.
Sinclair ran that same year bike as a Bomber back in the day. His was pretty clean then. Wonder if it could be the same bike?

Nice score John. I think I remember that was a great bike that year. Start looking for an NOS chain guard and mud guard for the linkage! Will look brand new. Although you might know how to make the ones on there look like new?

I have heard you can soak those plastic parts in hair bleaching peroxide to make them white again. I am going to get some from a local beauty supply and try it on parts from an 85 KX500. Will post the outcome.

Down with the sickness. Someone needs to ban everyone within driving range of me from having old bikes from the 80's for sale.

View attachment 54186 View attachment 54187
Nice bike John! I'm not sure if the '85 model suffered from the same issues but I broke the frame on mine in multiple spots. Saw a couple of other 84 models do the same.. the weak point was the left side tube behind the airbox. My dad cut that whole section out and replaced it.. and actually found the weak spot when it took 2 bends for it to connect to the down tube.. one bend inward and another forward to get it lined up before welding.

Back