Ain’t just Ohio moto that’s dead

Local races are killing local races, or rather local tracks. This site lists what, 45 tracks open in the state? How many tracks were there back in these "glory days"? When every track is open every weekend the mass is going to get spread thin. I live 20 minutes from both Briarcliff and Route 62 and it would be hard to justify a regular ol' Saturday race 2 hours away when I can go ride unlimited all day for $20. And not just that but with 45 tracks and about 24 good weekends for racing you're bound to have overlaps. People from the East are going to go to the race on the east and the west are doing the same with the west. And now instead of 500 bikes at one track they both have less than 300. It's great that we have all of these options to ride, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that having this many tracks and conflicting point series is bad business as a whole.

3 experts talking to each other ....Can you 3 please buy a track and show everyone how to do it right already!! Save what's left and build a new improved foundation! Cut class down,Make the perfect track..Don't hold practice,Races only ..No sanctioning body just good old Moto.Thank you in advance .
....:D Boom!

Do you guys even like to ride dirt bikes?
Seems for some without the competition this dance is more of a drag than a buzz ...

Yeah - That's gotta suck

Last edited:
...This is true -

Yet here we have another post - that goes on & on & on

Something doesn't seem right

Hummmm....???

Hence my point on an exclusive club like nascar.

So....Yea it’s not true. I’m in Florida. At a local race that had maybe 80-100??? Wonder what the stats are for how long it takes a newly introduced rider to attempt a huge amatuer stage event. People don’t just go to the shop. Say oh yea look at that bike dad buy me it! And the dad goes onto say sure son, now let’s hit mini o’s!!

20 years from now mini os might be pulling 80-100 due to the loss of introduction to the sport.

I mean no doubt I like to ride dirtbikes. That’s why I left and went to orlandomx. Cuz I like To ride. But I love to race. Racing for position in 10th is fine with me because I’m surrounded by racers. That’s what society is gonna turn into practice and on the street. I’m sure it’ll be legalalized in Cleveland soon.

Do people these days lose their buzz for a race ? Apparently I don’t know.

Open practice is killing local races. Plain and simple as that.
10-15 years ago if you wanted to ride a certain track you had to wait for a race. Briarcliff is open so much by mid summer I’m tired of riding on JO’s perfectly groomed track.

Our schedule will be leaner next year, you will see. I’m getting tired of you riding my perfectly groomed track incorrectly, so I’m cutting back!

Hence my point on an exclusive club like nascar.

So....Yea it’s not true. I’m in Florida. At a local race that had maybe 80-100??? Wonder what the stats are for how long it takes a newly introduced rider to attempt a huge amatuer stage event. People don’t just go to the shop. Say oh yea look at that bike dad buy me it! And the dad goes onto say sure son, now let’s hit mini o’s!!

20 years from now mini os might be pulling 80-100 due to the loss of introduction to the sport.

I mean no doubt I like to ride dirtbikes. That’s why I left and went to orlandomx. Cuz I like To ride. But I love to race. Racing for position in 10th is fine with me because I’m surrounded by racers. That’s what society is gonna turn into practice and on the street. I’m sure it’ll be legalalized in Cleveland soon.

Do people these days lose their buzz for a race ? Apparently I don’t know.

Low local numbers, in a way, may be better for the guys just starting up.

Days are too long now right? – Just imagine if it was a packed house.

If we’ve got too many classes right? – Just imagine if there were only a few to pick from.

Now, a guy can show up and not have to worry about racing the next Austin Forkner or DangerBoy Deegan because they are chasing the big show.

Also its hard to judge a single-sample size in December. Sure we will ride all day in 50* weather but I know people in Florida right now (born here btw) that are wearing coats at 60. Their 60 is our 40 and no one here wants to race in the 40s either. Also when you have "raceable" weather all year it's going to thin down that aching desire we have to get those last few races in as it gets colder and the unbearable excitement of spring

Ok good point Marc. Never thought About it that way.

Florida usually races this time of year because it’s hot in the summer. This is supposed to be the racing season down here. I looked up there results via he entire series thus far and the turnouts are equally as bad. Same people are racing. Just not many. And they don’t even have association memberships.

Last edited:
I'm one of those guys that doesn't race locally anymore, almost zero racing for me except for the big events because I just don't have the time to waste for a low turn out. I'm busy, have raced way too much in my lifetime already, and if I'm going to make the effort to go race...... I want to make sure I'm going to have a big class with people to race against. Hence, only riding the Loretta Lynn's events which have large turn outs, and Red Bud Vet Fest for the fun of it.

But I do ride all the time for practice, and it's bang for the buck. I can ride more in 3-4 hours at practice than I can at races, and get more time on the bike. I like to do 20-35 minute motos in practice, and I'll never get that at a race.

Not sure how much racing I could be coaxed into these days if things at the local level changed around, I do believe you need to hook the younger crowd, Mini's and their parents to buy into the racing, older guys that have been around a long time are much harder to change their minds. Cater to your youth and beginners and get them hooked on riding / racing to increase the size of the turnouts. Vet's shouldn't be your biggest classes, because then we are aging out of the game.

If you’re fed up with racing, You need to try EROC moto x country. Fun, quick, lots of seat time. I hope this series blows up with moto guys next year, I need some people to stumble through the woods with me.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

I’ve got video recordings my mom took of me racing during 50-60s classes in the 90s that are staggering to watch. People packed in. Gates 3/4 to fully filled. There’s one video they couldn’t pack us all behind the rubber band start had to double gate it. That was local racing when I was introduced to it. I’m afraid this sport is gonna be gone for my kids. Like rocket said when the vet classes are the largest we are in bad shape.

And not even ALL the veg classes are large. The 25/30 divisions are DEAD. Once these 40/50 Division guys start drawing social security and Medicare (bad old joke)

I remember going up to the gate with my dad on his 95 cr250 lookin left and right to LARGE vet gates. that’s not happening today. I slide into a stall and look to my left and my right and I see empty gates. (How exciting....Not.)

I’m 30! When I go to a race and there is 1 in the class. Or 2. Hell most I see is 5. 5?!?!?!?!? I’m just supposed to accept it and not get anxiety that the sport I Love is dieing ? .....My 40 and 50 classes aren’t gonna even exist by the time I get to be that old (god willing I live that long) but what am I to do but bitch on Pitracer about it? I’m just gonna have to sit here and watch it die.

If you’re fed up with racing, You need to try EROC moto x country. Fun, quick, lots of seat time. I hope this series blows up with moto guys next year, I need some people to stumble through the woods with me.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app
So hoping those things can migrate south. Looks so fun.
But why cant moto follow the same format? I mean it works so you have a template to use.
Set some limited classes and publish start times for each. You show up, sign up, race moto 1, have 3 more classes run (they will know their start times so no need to show up at the same time.) then run moto 2 and leave.
I have said it for years, it only takes one big name track to make the change and the rest of the sheep will follow.

I don't know how you can say moto is dead. Just because you don't see people racing doesn't mean they aren't there. And to say people aren't being introduced is absolutely the dumbest statement ever. Look at the numbers. People are riding. Bikes are flying off the shelf. Sponsors are pouring millions into the sport. People are just doing more than racing. People are building more private tracks. They are doing more woods riding. More practice days. Also peoples life's are more hectic than 15-20yrs ago. The days of places closed on Sunday are a thing of the past. People work more hours and have other obligations vs racing. I have a 1yr old and work weekends a lot. So when I do ride it's very limited and I have to map out my time carefully and get the most value for my dollar. To be single with no kids or even just have a wife but no other obligations other than 9-5 and feed the dog it's easy to say that. But I ride as much as I can when I can as long as the finances allow it. So in my world moto is not dead it's just another part of my life that I have to juggle.

I don't know how you can say moto is dead. Just because you don't see people racing doesn't mean they aren't there. And to say people aren't being introduced is absolutely the dumbest statement ever. Look at the numbers. People are riding. Bikes are flying off the shelf. Sponsors are pouring millions into the sport. People are just doing more than racing. People are building more private tracks. They are doing more woods riding. More practice days. Also peoples life's are more hectic than 15-20yrs ago. The days of places closed on Sunday are a thing of the past. People work more hours and have other obligations vs racing. I have a 1yr old and work weekends a lot. So when I do ride it's very limited and I have to map out my time carefully and get the most value for my dollar. To be single with no kids or even just have a wife but no other obligations other than 9-5 and feed the dog it's easy to say that. But I ride as much as I can when I can as long as the finances allow it. So in my world moto is not dead it's just another part of my life that I have to juggle.

That’s funny! The industry is down about 30%. So I’m not sure where bikes are flying off the shelf’s. Shops are closing all over. MAG has filed chapter 11 because they have over $300 million debt in your booming industry. MSR has dropped their Gear line as a cost savings effort.

That’s funny! The industry is down about 30%. So I’m not sure where bikes are flying off the shelf’s. Shops are closing all over. MAG has filed chapter 11 because they have over $300 million debt in your booming industry. MSR has dropped their Gear line as a cost savings effort.

2015 half year. Vs. 2016 half year KTM sales were up 11%. While adding over 150 new employees.

People are changing their riding habits. MSR gear is average gear at best. The reason dealers are closing isn't because of lack of dirt bike sales. Can't say I've ever seen strictly a dirt bike dealer, it's multiple reasons why. Service departments, parts departments, They are all apart of the business. Places like motosport or Rocky Mountain are all contributors to the loss of dealers. Plus I just bought a brand new CRF 110 and the dealer worked with me... unlike another local shop who didn't. Again I'll take my business where I get the most bang for my buck.

Hard to argue with financials.

Attachments

• IMG_3628.PNG
    IMG_3628.PNG
    313.2 KB · Views: 178
I’m bout to just throw the towel in and swap over to harescrambles and gncc. Atleast I know there is seat time and turnout at those events.

I get ZERO satisfaction beating 3 people. Or placing 3rd out 5 riders. Zero. It’s upsetting.

That’s my plan for next year, eroc series, the penton, Ironman, powerline park gncc and a few fullgas enduros are on my schedule.

Back