Ain’t just Ohio moto that’s dead

Just because someone types something on a forum, doesn't mean that it is necessarily true, and having someone that "fact checks" some of this stuff is pretty good for all of us, because you don't want to make decisions based on faulty information. So while Sharc may come off as a "know it all" from time to time, he is usually working from verifiable facts that he presents in a way that may upset some people. But having correct information is paramount to make the best decision / opinion possible, isn't it?

And I rode the 1 hour GP race at Meadowlarks this fall just for fun, and it was perfect. Show up, get dressed, ride for an hour straight in the woods and MX track, get undressed, check results, go home. It took up about 3 hours of my day, which was the only way I was able to go at all and felt like a good bang for my buck. I'll try more EROC events next year.

Just because someone types something on a forum, doesn't mean that it is necessarily true, and having someone that "fact checks" some of this stuff is pretty good for all of us, because you don't want to make decisions based on faulty information. So while Sharc may come off as a "know it all" from time to time, he is usually working from verifiable facts that he presents in a way that may upset some people. But having correct information is paramount to make the best decision / opinion possible, isn't it?

If it hasn't been Sharc_Checked, then it's Fake News.......

how did this topic go from motocross dying, to the industry in trouble? They are far from the same.

I would bet my shoes that KTM has and can show massive growth year over year for the past 15- 20 years. Of course they can. They innovate better than all the Jap brands combined.
MSR is going our of business because their cloths are FUGLY.

Bring it back to the local level (and local can be any geographical location) and just look at RACING motocross. That's all I care about. Well, that and making our little area the best it can be.

Practice is strong without question. But what would bring you guys back to racing?
Rocket, What need to happen to bring you to the Fork or Chili, or any other local race?

Sharc, ever make a trip south?

I was serious quad racer for a few years, atleast one a weekend and sometimes 2. I will offer the reasons I quit racing and the reasons we ride just practice now and won’t race. We quit racing locally because It was too expensive to keep up in points. In 2005-2008 if you wanted a championship you could almost buy one by racing multiple events a weekend. For what though? A beer cozy and some goggles! I’ve seen changes in the tracks and scheduling now though so this may have changed.
As far as returning to racing, it’s the bang for the buck and safety factor. I like my open practice days where I can ride and rest at will for 25$. I was looking forward to possibly racing D as this was the only class my son and I could get on the gate together safely in, now that’s gone. Until you inforce the rules forcing some of these sandbaggers out of C class, the beginners class, it’s not safe for beginners to be on the track. Whips and triples do not = C rider in my opinion. I have had multiple close calls in practice while holding my line, I can only imagine what race pace and adrenaline would be like.

I believe the reason most people think motocross is dead has a lot to do with the past recession, little Tommy's dad wasn't spending $3000.00 on a 50cc dirt bike when he was lucky to make his house payment or even keep his job. The fact is this created a gap within the age classes with the riders that should have been on 50's would now be on big bikes today, thus and having far less racing experience, than riders who parents that had secure jobs, spendable income and could afford 50's 65's and 85's. The kid who is now getting into the sport is now 10-12 years old and will not be as competitive as a kid who parents that took him to races during the recession. The numbers are starting to slowly climb back up in the smaller bike classes, look at Chilltown's 50cc open class they had to run qualifiers at the Moto Mayhem race. East Fork's practice last Sunday had 176 riders two thirds of the riders there had never been to a race , hopefully a third of these riders next year turn into racers.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
The open practice argument is like healthcare. You can’t force people to do a certain thing regarding their health. They’ll do what they want. You have to entice them pretty much.

Can’t force someone to race their dirtbike. Gotta entice.

He brings up a good point. Have you ever (maybe I missed it) thought about doing both tracks for like a one moto race? Of course different classes. He meaning CK1

I've thought about it at length, I even have a theme for it. However the big issue is time management. Right now, we have everything setup to get a good balance of seat time vs program run time. Regardless of your opinion on seat time, we hit what is happening in general (4 laps) and we are getting done at reasonable to extremely good times of the day considering turn outs. The only way the combo track works is if there are 10 less classes. And I don't have time for experiments.

I've thought about it at length, I even have a theme for it. However the big issue is time management. Right now, we have everything setup to get a good balance of seat time vs program run time. Regardless of your opinion on seat time, we hit what is happening in general (4 laps) and we are getting done at reasonable to extremely good times of the day considering turn outs. The only way the combo track works is if there are 10 less classes. And I don't have time for experiments.

Area 51 used to run a race with 2 large tracks combined. Worked great and was a TON of fun.

Did somebody say Entice?

Attachments

• IMG_3631.PNG
    IMG_3631.PNG
    98.3 KB · Views: 135
Come on man, give it a one off. Just like the Glen Helen 24 hour race... but only on a motocross track. Make lap times around 7 - 8 min. (add some tight back to back corner sections through that pretty grass infield)
Man we could have NASCAR style pit stops and everything. No oversize tanks like the bark eaters use. Come in take you gas cap off, fillerup, clean the windshield and back at it. One gate drop, all "classes" run together.

Just my opinion, but maybe a race every weekend isnt the answer. Maybe every other weekend. People get tired of traveling every weekend to a different, or the same track, not too mention the cost of it. If the economy is suffering dont you think the racers could be as well? Not everyone has unlimited, or even significant funds.
People can simply get burnt out of racing every single weekend. The idea of some bigger races seems to draw more incentive for racers. Chillitown numbers dont lie, they only have a few races, and they make them worth attending. Whether its the extra activities, the factory contingency, freebies, swag, one off plaques, the list goes on and on.

But hey what do i know im just a 26 year old snowflake doing this for fun. So ill accept all the bashing that is about to come at me from this post.

Back