GP Series coming back for 2022.....

You know what I’ll come try one this year and figure out where in the schedule is a good time. 35 minutes sounds like fun and I can do it not once but twice if I want to. Definitely a step out of my comfort zone but worth a try

Awesome - let me know - I'll race the B class in the morning then be on the camera the rest of the day. 105 on a yamaha.

Awesome - let me know - I'll race the B class in the morning then be on the camera the rest of the day. 105 on a yamaha.
I didn’t read this whole thread is it gncc style where first lap you see the track for the first time or is there practice or a sight lap or something

I didn’t read this whole thread is it gncc style where first lap you see the track for the first time or is there practice or a sight lap or something
No sight lap or practice. You can walk to mtb the course prior to racing. Most of the moto tracks have practice you can hit a few weeks before or something.

5cdca8dcb641a.image.jpg

This is what I see any time I enter the woods ....:oops:

Sharc raced an EROC GP at Beans once, I talked him into it. He did fine, but said it wasn't his thing after.
I totally understand, the woods and MX track didn't want to flow as one that day. Diametrically opposed course sections just aren't everyone's thing. They're not all that way. Lol

No sight lap on the GPs I've raced (except High Point Vet National weekend). Grip it and rip it!

Typically I race a morning session basically to get warmed up and learn the course. Then I can do better in the Vet class session.

Proceed with cautious race speed. :D

The GP that we raced at COCR, (I'm thinking it was 2 years ago already), was our first at that track. A race day I won't soon forget.
My first "GO" was Decade Class, and we blasted off the start at 11:00 am.
I knew I was going to be directionally disoriented as soon as we entered the woods. So I went as hard as I could off the gate, but then had to drop the throttle a bit once we were out of the clear.

We had another class with us, and a faster racer on a KTM just ahead of me. I began following and tried to hang with him, but stayed back far enough in case he messed up as I had no idea where the track was going or what lie ahead of us. Upon first entering the woods, the track is plenty wide, with a long fast straight gradually declining downhill, and then near bottom, veering right and back up gradual incline. The first hard left turn he blew right through and missed it. He realized it immediately. I made the turn and got a pass on him, which I knew he would soon return, but inside I was giggling a little over that.

Further into the woods I was headed along a somewhat narrow pathway running directly across the side of a hill. The KTM rider was out of sight by this time. I was going as fast as I dared to go, staying up on my pegs, trying to stay light, agile and quick to react.
Reading the track as I went, I noticed what looked to be a pretty good hump with a steep face up ahead of me. The closer I got I noticed two riders were down, off the track (to the right down the hillside). They hit that hump going too fast and it turned out to be a nasty kicker. I knew right then that I had to really stay alert until I got through these first two laps.

By the end of the 2nd lap you begin to pull it all together and know how to manage the course. At that point it's RACE ON for the next 30 minutes!

What does suck though is when they route in tough hill climbs with short run-ups, particularly if there has been rain within the last week. COCR had in a nasty hill climb that they had to later re-route around because too many rider were getting hung up. Including me!
A GP course needs to be manageable to motocrossers. We aren't Hare Scramble racers.

Last edited:
Back