2022 Battle for Ohio State Championship Series!

ck1racerx

PR Addict
So 10 people that live in the south have told you “I’m not going Malvern because I’m not getting double points”? They actually said that? I call horse hockey.
if you do know them, call them out here and we will publicly shame them.
And you still not address the other track question

DC817

PR Addict
So 10 people that live in the south have told you “I’m not going Malvern because I’m not getting double points”? They actually said that? I call horse hockey.
Riders from the south aren’t getting any Buckeye series points for coming to the two northern rounds, let alone double points.

John250

PR Founding Father
Matthew and I are one of the few in SW Ohio that always try to race all the battle races. Hershey is 100% correct. These guys that ride the Buckeye Series follow buckeye series points and nothing else. If Treaty City was race in the Buckeye Series they would go there for Points before they went to BC for a Race Ohio Race, because it is not part of the series.

The Buckeye Series, allows you to drop a couple races from your totals. So the thought on double points in my opinion is a couple. First off, it was to draw the Buckeye Series racers to the Battle of Ohio races, so that these four races are the BEST four races, and the most attended races in the state. Must attend events. If both series pay overall series points for them, it would get people to attend. Making them double points, keeps people from using them as their "drop" races. Make sense now, how there would be an emphasis to attend these races? In return your also racing a series within a series for a state championship (similar to scotts triple crown races).

You're old like me. You remember D11 used to have double point races in D11. So, I am not concerned if COCR or some other track is upset they don't have a double points race. They also don't have a Battle race either, and there is a reason for it. Malvern, BC, EF, and CTMX have all put themselves in a place to be able to handle Battle Races. Tracks like COCR could not even hold a race due to lack of parking.

So my guess is the battle races will be about like 2021. A good crowd at Malvern. A great crowd at EF and CTMX, and a disappointing crowd at Briar Cliff. I will pull this post up after wards to see how close my prediction is for 2022.

Believe it or not, Hershey and I are just trying to help promote these four races into the biggest races in Ohio again. Thought we had it all figured out when JO jumped on board. Not sure what the resistance is for scott. It is nothing more than accounting at this point.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Can't believe I am saying it, but I'm with you on this one Knox. Not the public shame part, you're too good at that ;), but otherwise.

Of course, I really haven't been in the mix and/or racing for a couple few years. Maybe the all mighty point is more valuable than I think. Sure, I'd like to get some accolades and swag at the year end banquet, but not thinking it would make a big hill of beans for me. I guess to be Fair, we did hit some races this past year chasing points for Spencer there towards the end...none in the "south" though other than Chilitown. Heck, went to some crappy track in PA!

I am looking forward to East Fork this next year though...not for the points, but the track...

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Matthew and I are one of the few in SW Ohio that always try to race all the battle races. Hershey is 100% correct. These guys that ride the Buckeye Series follow buckeye series points and nothing else. If Treaty City was race in the Buckeye Series they would go there for Points before they went to BC for a Race Ohio Race, because it is not part of the series.

The Buckeye Series, allows you to drop a couple races from your totals. So the thought on double points in my opinion is a couple. First off, it was to draw the Buckeye Series racers to the Battle of Ohio races, so that these four races are the BEST four races, and the most attended races in the state. Must attend events. If both series pay overall series points for them, it would get people to attend. Making them double points, keeps people from using them as their "drop" races. Make sense now, how there would be an emphasis to attend these races? In return your also racing a series within a series for a state championship (similar to scotts triple crown races).

You're old like me. You remember D11 used to have double point races in D11. So, I am not concerned if COCR or some other track is upset they don't have a double points race. They also don't have a Battle race either, and there is a reason for it. Malvern, BC, EF, and CTMX have all put themselves in a place to be able to handle Battle Races. Tracks like COCR could not even hold a race due to lack of parking.

So my guess is the battle races will be about like 2021. A good crowd at Malvern. A great crowd at EF and CTMX, and a disappointing crowd at Briar Cliff. I will pull this post up after wards to see how close my prediction is for 2022.

Believe it or not, Hershey and I are just trying to help promote these four races into the biggest races in Ohio again. Thought we had it all figured out when JO jumped on board. Not sure what the resistance is for scott. It is nothing more than accounting at this point.
I'm sorry but i still do not see it. WHY would series points matter as all? I dont want to be the one that delivers the bad news but NO ONE except the riders themselves care... at all. Your not going to get a factory contract because you won the points in Mini Jr. in southern Ohio. Your going to get the same 25% off MSRP for Chinese made gear as the guy that gets 10th in the series.

I was around for the original Buckeye series. And i can say for 100% certainty, the animosity between the tracks that got the races and the tracks that did not, was REAL. Everyone has an opinion but I strongly believe that is one of the big issues that brought down D-11. The chosen few got the big races each year and everyone else nothing. So now your suggestion makes that even worse. Your going to, at the very least, create ill feelings towards the organization from the tracks on the outside.

"I am not concerned if COCR or some other track is upset" is NOT helping promote the sport. And the Sport across the state is more important then 4 races.

I guess we can agree to disagree here. Pay no points, single, double or more I still don't thing it will help or hurt these four races.

John250

PR Founding Father
A whole hell of a lot of people, especially in the youth classes care about them points. They go to every race.

And sorry, but yes, some tracks will always be judged a little different for the facilities, prep, and quality of the track. Those will always be the ones that get the big races. The other tracks know this, it is no big secret. Been that way for years.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
A whole hell of a lot of people, especially in the youth classes care about them points. They go to every race.

And sorry, but yes, some tracks will always be judged a little different for the facilities, prep, and quality of the track. Those will always be the ones that get the big races. The other tracks know this, it is no big secret. Been that way for years.
Is true...somewhat.

Define "A whole hell of a lot of people" in Knox analytics. Would think those not seriously targeting Loretta's maybe. Guess that might be the majority locally, but what percentage of them are really chasing points? I would think definitely a few, the top 5 or 10 in each class maybe. On the grand scale, not that many.

In tracking Spencer's points this year, there were very few at each race. Kids like Spencer needed to hit most races if not all to be in the points. Barring the bike issues and his sucky mechanic he had, it wouldn't have had to be that way...just saying. Kids like Talon only needed to show up a handful of races to be IN the points. Like I said, in case I see your point, but not sure I am convinced for the majority.

Just a guess. I have not analytics or science to go with that. Just opinions, thoughts, and edumacated guesses... Carry on...

ck1racerx

PR Addict
The real numbers do not support that statement.
In 2021 for Race Ohio:
982 individuals signed up to race.
IF all of them would have went to every race, they would have 2018 eligible for year end awards.

BUT, they didn't.

Only 114 people went to enough races to qualify.
On average 5.5 per class of the possible 56.1

So turns out points are important to roughly 10%

Oh, and Johnny... you didn't go to enough to qualify. Only 2 in 50+ did.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
The real numbers do not support that statement.
In 2021 for Race Ohio:
982 individuals signed up to race.
IF all of them would have went to every race, they would have 2018 eligible for year end awards.

BUT, they didn't.

Only 114 people went to enough races to qualify.
On average 5.5 per class of the possible 56.1

So turns out points are important to roughly 10%

Oh, and Johnny... you didn't go to enough to qualify. Only 2 in 50+ did.
Statistics or not there is at least 300 entries every weekend at a race Ohio race. And 300 is usually a very small turnout it’s usually more like 350-500. But I can guarantee that 250 entries every race are coming from the same people. The youth classes have the same 15 kids every weekend in the race Ohio series. Now I do feel just points in general would bring the youth people up north but the people who would come up north the most for double points are the adults that chase the series. The kids parents see the points and know they have to go so their kid doesn’t lose. But the adults that may skip one round or two see this as an opportunity to catch up. I was at malvern for there last race of the year track was perfect and everytime I was at briarcliff it was perfect prep, the southern Ohio people need to grow some and come up north and ride some different tracks and face the north competition and the way to drive them up here is double points

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
My post in no way was intended to bash Scott or the Buckeye series. It was purely the facts. The fact is, its his series, so when i tell people not my pig, not my farm, that's all it is. So how do we attract riders to OMA? The same way we attracted everyone to CT back when they're highest attendance prior to the OMA was 225, we develop ideas and promotions. I don't have those ideas quite yet, I am finishing the Banquet, 22 schedule and rulebook up, and then its onto ideas and promotions. I look at this season as a huge opportunity to unite Ohio a little more. Its never been done effectively, but it could happen, and it could start this season.

I plan to have a great event in July, because I'm returning to promoting this year (focusing on it). I cut back on quantity of my race events to raise the quality. I plan to add more value to my races. I think the handful of Buckeye Series racers than ran both OMA and Buckeye will see some value tonight.

Not to too toot my horn too much, but that slogan that Forcum used for Chillitown, "its not a race its an event". I told him that in Jason's basement for a meeting back in 2013 or so. I've been running at an idle the last couple seasons, time to crank it up.

hershey

PR Elite
My post in no way was intended to bash Scott or the Buckeye series. It was purely the facts. The fact is, its his series, so when i tell people not my pig, not my farm, that's all it is. So how do we attract riders to OMA? The same way we attracted everyone to CT back when they're highest attendance prior to the OMA was 225, we develop ideas and promotions. I don't have those ideas quite yet, I am finishing the Banquet, 22 schedule and rulebook up, and then its onto ideas and promotions. I look at this season as a huge opportunity to unite Ohio a little more. Its never been done effectively, but it could happen, and it could start this season.

I plan to have a great event in July, because I'm returning to promoting this year (focusing on it). I cut back on quantity of my race events to raise the quality. I plan to add more value to my races. I think the handful of Buckeye Series racers than ran both OMA and Buckeye will see some value tonight.

Not to too toot my horn too much, but that slogan that Forcum used for Chillitown, "its not a race its an event". I told him that in Jason's basement for a meeting back in 2013 or so. I've been running at an idle the last couple seasons, time to crank it up.
That's more like it!

John250

PR Founding Father
Attended my first OMA Banquet last night. I can tell everyone one thing, they knocked it out of the park with the banquet. Great event, ran like a machine, efficient like a BC race.

I emailed Connie on Friday night at like 12:45am. She responded about 5 minutes later. We were talking on the way home about races, running them efficiently, etc. I told everyone in the car. The one thing that the OMA has that no one else has? Connie. I don't think she probably gets enough credit for the thankless job she does. But it is people like that behind the scenes that make JO look good.

The event last night though was great. I am guessing probably 600 to 700 people there. Venue was great, food was better than many other banquet food events. Plenty of food lines so everyone got through quick. And the awards ceremony was quick and they kept it moving. Great job.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Attended my first OMA Banquet last night. I can tell everyone one thing, they knocked it out of the park with the banquet. Great event, ran like a machine, efficient like a BC race.

I emailed Connie on Friday night at like 12:45am. She responded about 5 minutes later. We were talking on the way home about races, running them efficiently, etc. I told everyone in the car. The one thing that the OMA has that no one else has? Connie. I don't think she probably gets enough credit for the thankless job she does. But it is people like that behind the scenes that make JO look good.

The event last night though was great. I am guessing probably 600 to 700 people there. Venue was great, food was better than many other banquet food events. Plenty of food lines so everyone got through quick. And the awards ceremony was quick and they kept it moving. Great job.
We're there next year....

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father

Connie is a huge part of the OMA success story. Here’s a little secret. Everyone that helps the OMA wants to do a great job, not a good job, a great job. To quote one of your all time favorite football coaches. You win with people! We are very fortunate that we have not ran Connie off yet.

Last edited:

hershey

PR Elite
Hope transponders are used at every Battle race.
In my eyes, an event isn't "important" if the event doesn't have them.
One thing I think people miss, with escore you have live timing on your phone. You know who is on the track at all times regardless if you can hear the announcer. No reason to ever miss your moto.

Downside... I can rave my kid without being on the track with him with lap times. He started kicking my ass this year.

John250

PR Founding Father
Almost all forms of motor sports use transponders. Go Karts, saturday night stock cars, road racing. Bring it to motocross full time. Just the cost of racing. A subscription is not that expensive.