Winter Projects Re-re-re-re-visited

dmx153

PR Founding Father
I picked up this unmolested 1980 RM250 over the winter and brought it to my buddy's private track Sunday to play around. I'm so used to modern suspension that these twin shockers take some getting used to. Any help with suspension on this old girl would be appreciated. The motor is surprisingly strong and the brakes aren't bad either.

012.JPG

015.JPG

rsim141

PR Member
Wow Dave - what's the story behind how that machine stayed in such good shape for all these years?? My 1st MX bike was a '79 RM 250 - I put a pipe and Fox shocks on it and hit the dirt!

my 79 RM250.jpg

Last edited:

AHRMA361

PR Founding Father
dmx153 "I picked up this unmolested 1980 RM250 over the winter and brought it to my buddy's private track Sunday to play around. I'm so used to modern suspension that these twin shockers take some getting used to. Any help with suspension on this old girl would be appreciated. The motor is surprisingly strong and the brakes aren't bad either."

Nobody raced seriously on those stock KYB shocks back in the day. I replaced the stock KYB shocks on my RM125 back then with some S&W's "Strokers" and it was a huge improvement.

Just get a set of Works Performance (or, if I had your money, I would get Ohlins!) built to your weight and speed (fast) and put emulators in the front with proper springs. It will ride like a new bike. You will be better off than Kent Howerton was BITD with that set-up![/QUOTE]

sturd

PR Addict
Wrong sport but the BSA now has my number on it (at least the front), runs on
gasoline instead of the methanol George liked, but still leaks from the transmission.
Need to preserve that for authenticity I suppose. First race Sunday at WR. Weather permitting,
no racing dirt track if it rains.

Weirdest part of first local race of the year is we need to take too many bikes for
the trailer. Traveling past couple months I didn't race, just the kid did so everything
fit in the trailer. We need to have 5 bikes this weekend! How'd that happen?

Attachments

• bsa april 19 2015.jpg
    bsa april 19 2015.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 159

AHRMA361

PR Founding Father
Nice sturd! I want to watch you race that sometime this year. Maybe Ashland during Mid-O?

Put a small number "17" somewhere on that bike if you haven't already......

p.s. trans oil is cheap. Bigger trailers are not.

evomx244

PR Addict
dmx153 "I picked up this unmolested 1980 RM250 over the winter and brought it to my buddy's private track Sunday to play around. I'm so used to modern suspension that these twin shockers take some getting used to. Any help with suspension on this old girl would be appreciated. The motor is surprisingly strong and the brakes aren't bad either."

Nobody raced seriously on those stock KYB shocks back in the day. I replaced the stock KYB shocks on my RM125 back then with some S&W's "Strokers" and it was a huge improvement.

Just get a set of Works Performance (or, if I had your money, I would get Ohlins!) built to your weight and speed (fast) and put emulators in the front with proper springs. It will ride like a new bike. You will be better off than Kent Howerton was BITD with that set-up!
[/QUOTE]

You're funny Mike! Dave's not going to spend any money buying shocks for that thing, he'll have it sold right after Mid-Ohio or before :)

Close to getting to having my 82 YZ250 completed, clutch on, side cover, right side foot peg on, carb cleaned and rebuilt. Only thing left is to paint the radiator and put it on, then I can started it.

sturd

PR Addict
Nice sturd! I want to watch you race that sometime this year. Maybe Ashland during Mid-O?

Put a small number "17" somewhere on that bike if you haven't already......

p.s. trans oil is cheap. Bigger trailers are not.

May not make Ashland/Mid-O as Amateur National Dirt Track is same week in Duquoin. Finishes Friday but
we'll probably stop in Indy to watch the Pro mile on Saturday. Will be at Ashland June 19 for an
All-Star race.

You're right, I need to add a 17. His front plate will be on the wall of fame in the garage.

Come to W.R. Ride a street bike and get in free! My cooler will be full, help yourself.

dmx153

PR Founding Father
Wow Dave - what's the story behind how that machine stayed in such good shape for all these years?? My 1st MX bike was a '79 RM 250 - I put a pipe and Fox shocks on it and hit the dirt!

View attachment 48504

I really don't know the story behind this bike, I won it on Evilbay and picked it up in Virginia coming home from a N. Carolina riding trip. Whoever had it took care of it. The air filter was clean and properly oiled, the carb was not gummed up, all the cables were in tact and functioned well. I believe the stock tires were still on the bike but dry rotted. So far all I've done is change the oil and put new tires on it. I typically don't keep bikes long enough to throw $$$$ at suspension but I have a soft spot for this bike. I don't have Hartney deep pockets so Ohlins is out of the question! More than likely I will look into Works Performance and Race Tech for the forks.

dmx153

PR Founding Father
"soft spot" that's cute Dave, we are one in the same you and I. That bike will be gone after Mid-Ohio mark it 8 dude

I know right? I have 5 mx'ers in the garage and as of now none of them are for sale.....yet! I got an offer on my '83 RM250 (without advertising it) I turned the guy down, plus I told Pit he has first right of refusal if I decide to sell it. Same thing with my Husky 144, not for sale.

D

DTS

It sure fits right in! I saw some photos of his other work, they're some of the nicest old Hondas I've seen.

AHRMA361

PR Founding Father
May not make Ashland/Mid-O as Amateur National Dirt Track is same week in Duquoin. Finishes Friday but
we'll probably stop in Indy to watch the Pro mile on Saturday. Will be at Ashland June 19 for an
All-Star race.

You're right, I need to add a 17. His front plate will be on the wall of fame in the garage.

Come to W.R. Ride a street bike and get in free! My cooler will be full, help yourself.

Would love to and appreciate the cooler offer, but am flying to Clearwater Beach Sunday for work stuff. I'll take a rain check, just let me know when/where you will be blasting the BSA around the oval....

k01

PR Elite
20150411_150521~2_resized~2.jpg

Replacing the plywood floor in the back of the 1988 HiPoint trailer. The long winter delayed this project. Too many times backing into lakes, ponds and rivers with the jet skis took it's toll. Roost from the tires works against this area too. These trailers where so well built with nice marine plywood that was well sealed. But I discovered that the rear gate hinge is supported by the back plywood floor sandwiched between the formed fiberglass below the door. Some of the carriage bolts retaining the hinge were completely rusted through. If anyone has a HiPoint, might be a good idea to check this area.

The trailer is perfect for what I do. Wish I could buy a new one but since I can't I'll just keep this one going as long as I can.

sturd

PR Addict
HAH! My buddy Mark Carney took these. First one is me on the BSA, no way I was getting around
my buddy Roger on that tiny black line. Get off it and you were skating out to the wall.
But then last lap we got a lapper and I chose the right way, he didn't:

This one, my son wins Lightweight class with a pass I didn't think was possible.
There was just dust down there where he went to pass. He made it look like
nothing but that is an incredible pass.

D

DTS

Good to meet you yesterday! Both of your bikes looked awesome. Hope you guys had a good time at Chillitowne.

We had a great time. Your zook was looking sharp too! Hope to run into you again soon

dmx153

PR Founding Father
Here is some progress on the '83. I didn't do a full blown restore, I don't have the time or patience. This bike was pretty solid to start with and not all beat up. Even has the stock kickstand. The cylinder is .25 over, ported and polished with a fresh top end and as luck would have it , the favored '82 head was already on the bike! Thanks to Pit for rebuilding the suspension.

243.JPG
244.JPG
245.JPG