Winter Projects Re-re-re-re-visited

Here is some progress on the '83. I didn't do a full blown restore, I don't have the time or patience. This bike was pretty solid to start with and not all beat up. Even has the stock kickstand. The cylinder is .25 over, ported and polished with a fresh top end and as luck would have it , the favored '82 head was already on the bike! Thanks to Pit for rebuilding the suspension.

View attachment 48600
View attachment 48601
View attachment 48602

WOW! Looks nice and clean.

Aren't the RM250 cylinders Nikasil plated?
If not, if I were gonna pay to have port and polish, I wouldn't think twice on plating it.

It is a good looking bike.

Aren't the RM250 cylinders Nikasil plated?
If not, if I were gonna pay to have port and polish, I wouldn't think twice on plating it.

It is a good looking bike.
Not back in the day. The only bikes of that era with plated cylinders were kawi's. I guess some Hondas too.

Mike, when I brought the bike home last fall I never tried to start it but it had good compression. I took the cylinder and head to Action Sport in Alliance to have them look it over and they told me I had the '82 head and showed me the port work that was already done to the cylinder. I had them run a hone through it for good measure and they spec'd out a new piston telling me the cylinder was .25 over. It's going to make somebody a nice vintage bike.

Mike, when I brought the bike home last fall I never tried to start it but it had good compression. I took the cylinder and head to Action Sport in Alliance to have them look it over and they told me I had the '82 head and showed me the port work that was already done to the cylinder. I had them run a hone through it for good measure and they spec'd out a new piston telling me the cylinder was .25 over. It's going to make somebody a nice vintage bike.
Somebody?? Is it for sale??

FYI those yellow louvers on the radiators are only supposed to be used for mud riding. Normal racing take them off for better airflow.

Somebody?? Is it for sale??
Yea probably, this one and maybe a couple more. I would consider a package deal for the 1980 and 1983 RM250's. I'm getting ready to start the 2nd floor in our addition and the extra funds could really help.

Last edited:
Yea probably, this one and maybe a couple more. I would consider a package deal for the 1980 and 1983 RM250's. I'm getting ready to start the 2nd floor in our addition and the extra funds could really help.
So.... how much for both????

Is it too soon for my next Winter project? 1980 RM80.

1980 RM80.jpg

My 84 YZ 250 project is ready to go. First race of the season will likely be Chillicothe in a couple of weeks. Work travel has been unpredictable but might clear up for me to make Unadilla.

Parma Dave handled the mechanicals like suspension and complete engine rebuild. I found cases and a clutch cover that were not damaged and we used those to replace some JBWeld repairs. Always a thank you to Parma Dave for the quality of his work. Dave also repaired the pipe that was dented pretty bad.

Jeff, of BadBrush, designed the backgrounds and numbers. Jeff is a good guy and I recommend his designs and graphics.

I went minimal on the cosmetics and just cleaned, sanded, and polished the plastics - I find that Mequiar's headlight lens restoration kit is a good way to bring back plastics. If the tanks are really rough, I sand first. The plastics have a few issues, cracks, and extra holes drilled in it, but they have the Yamaha part numbers molded in so they might be original. I went with Wicked Tough graphics for the decals I bought off Ebay - will see how they hold up.

Not quite the work of art those RM's that John cranked out this year are, but it should be a solid bike for a couple of seasons.

5175-1432694340-725e64f4f8cbff1abd80027180ddf9ca.jpg

5174-1432694336-f97037bbe8621d1c741c7a37138dc782.jpg

Back