Winter Projects Re-re-re-re-visited

Pretty much done. Need to restore/paint the exhaust pipe, figure out something to do with the silencer, and some other small odds and ends.

Believe it or not those are DC Plastic side panels. They have improved a lot in color and quality since last time I used them.

20180125_211910.jpg

Don't want to pick nits but, is the side panel graphic placed incorrectly? the "colorways" don't match the sequence on the tank graphic (which can only go on one way)

Surely Kreps keen eye to detail didn't place them. Blame Kari!

I wondered the same thing but it's correct. For all 1982 RMs from left to right tank goes dark to light, panel goes light to dark. The light blue stripes sort of line up and make a center point. I had never really noticed that until I had to place those side decals and figure out which way they went.

There are a few items on this bike that are technically incorrect though.
-the front fender is 90's style RM80
-when I had all the stuff powdercoated, they mixed up the handlebar clamps with my other black stuff and made them black. They offered to redo them, but I thought they sort of looked cool that way.
-I've replaced most of the hardware with modern bolts and nuts.
-Obviously the tires are modern tires since it will be raced.
-they don't make the original solid front number plate anymore, so I had to buy the 83-85 version that has air vents in it to flow to the radiator on those models. I covered up those vents.

Silly stuff I know, but that's the difference between a "racer" restore and a true restore. Whatever the case, this is certainly one of my favorite bikes right now. It is really cool looking.

Last edited:
Well the RM80 is done "enough" to start working on something new....errrr old.

This bike has been up on a display rack for 10 years! Blowing out the cobwebs on it for it to make a return at VMD.

This is the first true bike build I've ever done. Now it's time to do it again!

27067300_10213013587111742_5777256084055651796_n.jpg

Reactions: DTS
It would be nice if my finished projects were as nice as this time to start again point. Look forward to watching the project.

I still remember chasing you on the bike around Smith Road on my CR. The thought of that sound still makes me smile.

It would be nice if my finished projects were as nice as this time to start again point. Look forward to watching the project.

Haha, thanks. Really this bike won't look much different. I've learned a lot mechanically since restoring this bike so now it's time to go back and do all the mechanical items I overlooked or didn't know how to do back then so this bike it is a competent racer.

Another thing I did was clean out my blast cabinet and change it over to SODA. It's fantastic. I've soda blasted before, but outside and made a huge mess.
Compared to regular abrasives the soda will disintegrate quickly and much of it gets sucked up by the ventilation vacuum, but it lays down a great finish.

You can also use it on plastic, rubber, brass, etc. It works awesome and just rinses away and you don't have to chase grit out of all the nooks and crannies of everything.

I have found a really good method is to soda blast parts, then toss them in the ultrasonic cleaner.

20180225_111048.jpg
20180225_111435.jpg
20180225_170010.jpg
20180219_161322.jpg
20180219_164653.jpg

Last edited:
Are there any small rebuild Suzuki parts that are difficult to get?

Depends on year. For example, I had a heck of a time finding a crank pin for the 1982 RM80 but eventually got one. Also on the 1982 there are no aftermarket exhaust pipes/silencers out there so I have to restore the originals.

The 1991 of course has a lot more parts available since it is newer and shares a lot of parts with even the current 2018 model. BUT I will say what is currently driving me nuts on the 91 is finding graphics for it. I wanted to put original 1991 graphics on it but they are impossible to find. Currently I have a graphic from a 93 RM125 stuck on the shroud just so it's not plain. It looks ok I guess but the lines don't match.

20180226_191005.jpg

Last edited:
Back