ALTA Redshift Price Drop.

I'm not missing the point - I don't align with the thought that ICE propulsion is the same as electric.

And neither of us have taken Gary Bailey's "how to ride an ELECTRIC MX bike" class yet

Not that it matters - but one thing I have noticed lately -
Bailey was a freak about his "elbows up" strategy.
Take a look at the current fast guys - elbows wat?

All a clutch would be is a modulated on/off switch. But you can already do that with the throttle....

So Hershey is sayin you need a clutch to control the torque ? Electric motors have max torque at zero mph all the way up to their top speed. It would be silly to try to adjust the electric motor to run like a combustible engine.

If the motor could only be on or off like my wife’s sweeper then you’d need a way to modulate. But the throttle on the bike already does this.....?

And it’s interesting about sharks electric cart statement. Not using the brakes. So will the best electric motocross riders never use the brakes......? They’ll be butter smooth with the right wrist?

Last edited:
All a clutch would be is a modulated on/off switch. But you can already do that with the throttle....

So Hershey is sayin you need a clutch to control the torque ? Electric motors have max torque at zero mph all the way up to their top speed. It would be silly to try to adjust the electric motor to run like a combustible engine.

If the motor could only be on or off like my wife’s sweeper then you’d need a way to modulate. But the throttle on the bike already does this.....?

And it’s interesting about sharks electric cart statement. Not using the brakes. So will the best electric motocross riders never use the brakes......? They’ll be butter smooth with the right wrist?
Quick observation/question. Do you happen to own a sweeper as well?

Not sure if the ALTA is setup (programed) like the carts. The carts slow as soon as you release the throttle.
I'll eat him up on the long straight as I slam throttle to the floor - only to be going too fast and need to hit the brakes - then he'll come around me in the next set of S turns because I lost all my momentum - Phooy!!!

Oh - Overall in our group I suck at the carts - I'm too throttle happy !!!!
I can pitch it sideways pretty good though - only to get passed again.

I guess Gary Bailey doesnt know what he is talking about then. Its not about starting, stopping or shifting, its about bike control. Check Gary Semics stuff too. Read this article, its a safety device, control device and traction control device. It doesnt matter what type of drive moves the bike at all.

http://www.racerxvt.com/article/gary-bailey-trackside---in-the-clutch

" then riders realized that the new four-stroke engine had lots of bottom end power and much better power, so they thought they didn’t need the clutch anymore. I never understood this because I always thought good riding was as much about controlling the power as having better power and you just cannot control your power without using the clutch."

"So lesson one: learn to use the clutch with just one finger and learn to ride with your finger on the clutch all the time so that it is there and ready if you need a little clutch to control your power.

It is important to understand how the clutch works to use it properly. You should think of the clutch as having a little traction control device. Think about how you use the clutch when you do a start. If you understand that how you release the clutch is important on a start, then you can understand can that how you apply and release the clutch is important everywhere else on the track too"

You can read the rest on your own. But to shorten it, The clutch is what helps separate the great riders from the good ones in the pro ranks.

Again, you are comparing apples to pears and ignoring the fact that an electric motor outputs power very differently than an internal combustion engine.

If you want to assume that Gary Bailey and Gary Semics don't know what they are talking about - that is on you. I didn't name drop anyone.. because it doesn't matter.

We didn't design, enginerd, or produce the ALTA so why the is this clutch debate going on for 4 pages? Alta isn't reading this and running back to the drawing board due to some chocolate guy saying that "pros" won't like it because only the clutch separates the good from the great lmao

Every picture of me always has one finger on the brake and one on the clutch lever in every photo.....Hershey, must have just took his finger off his lever.

Clutch finger.jpg

Just a thought, but who can talk with experience on how an electric ONLY powered machine operates compared to the internal combustion engine?
I believe the electric go cart is the best representation, but only because its the only comparison.

Controlling the power of the motor is what I believe is hersheys argument for the clutch.
Which, in an internal combustion motor, the power is not linear. Thus the need for a clutch.
With an electrical motor, on paper, its 100% power from the moment its given (if the throttle was an ON/OFF switch)

Josh Hill was working with Alta on the algorithm on how to deliver the power. IE throttle position vs power %

I dont believe a clutch will ever be needed on an electric only motor vehicle, eliminate a variable, Keep It Simple Stupid

Hell the already have an electric indy car series... was watching it Saturday before the sx race. Was weird watching those cars flying with a high pitch buzzing sound
I watched that too and it will take a while to get use to not hearing the engines screaming. I suppose in time it will become the norm but I am not looking forward to all electric races. As I said before riding them is fun but as far as racing I like to hear the engines.

Last edited:
I was in Georgia this past weekend and the riding park I was at was a KTM/Alta dealer. I didn't get to ride one but was able to swing a leg over it.
To me it felt kind of small, but I am 6'2" lol. A KTM 125sx was parked beside it and you could visually see the KTM stood much taller. The Alta was extremely cool though and appeared to be very well made. I'm waiting on the battery longevity to increase before I part with any of my other scooters.

I was told it shouldn't be much different than what you can currently do with a modern battery powered RC car. On the RC car you can configure engine braking, top speed, bottom end and tons of other things.

I would think it would take getting used to jumping. No sound of the motor and the feel would probably be different without listening to the motor etc.

I think we will see many more whisky throttle wrecks with these electric bikes. Can't just pull in the clutch now to stop (slow down) the bike from going faster when you are locked tight on the throttle..

I'm interested in these for sure but the whisky throttle would have me nervous for sure. With my right wrist being fused I use my clutch a lot now to control my speed.

i cant imagine it being much harder than jumping off of a 450 and going to a 125.. as far as noice engine breaking etc.. i used to really struggle with switching back and forth but now i barley have to adjust at all. must just be the fact that i go a lot slower these days and it doesnt make a difference hahahaha...

Most of the pro riders don't even keep a finger on the clutch anymore. They only use it in the corners. Modern four strokes have eliminated almost any need for it. You can grip the bars better with all fingers on the bars. This was something that was difficult for me to unlearn and I still find myself with my middle finger on the clutch and have to correct myself.

Watch supercross and see that almost all of them except Reed seat bounce rhythm sections and blitz whoops with no clutch control.

I still cover the clutch in off road races nearly all the time.

Back