2023 MERP Grand-Prix Series

one little tiny thing (and im not a woods or GP guy so maybe its normal) is maybe give just a littttttle more room between classes. in +35 we caught up to the guys in front of us like, literally as soon as we entered the woods which is like, 2 turns...

im sure its tricky to drop that many at once so maybe it cant be changed.. if so, it is what it is!! once people find their groove its not too bad to get around people and i know thats part of the challenge (passing people AND getting the hell out of the way when guys are coming up that actually know what they are doing in the trees, i sure as hell dont). but at least in the first few minutes it seems like pure chaos and coming up on another class that quickly kinda stinks.

would it make more sense to have these starts go into moto instead of woods first? would really allow some more separation? kind of let the riders that "should" be near eachother group up... just thinking out loud if that would make for a better experience or not. thats also coming from a moto guy, a woods guy might said the opposite lol. but im just thinking all of those bikes into 1-2 lined woods sections, make more sense to go into the open stuff first.

anyhow, bj had the track dialed, i didn't race til 1 and the track was awesome. woods were tight for my preference, but I don't go to these because its in my comfort zone, so i'm cool with it, im there for a challenge and something different! Our 6 yr old did his first one, he liked it. I never made it into the woods section of their course, mom had that side covered lol.. but he said he liked it. They struggled with the hill in the back a bit, but lesson learned, told him next time not to let off the gas from the corner til the top of the hill lol. I think the slightest bit of lost momentum and thats all the PW's had. he'll probably do the next one too.

sign up process is always smooth, things start on time, everything's been pretty consistent with how these are ran. its a good flow. i can only see this getting bigger and better each year!

if you're hesitant on these, just do it.

Thanks for the PM Jack, I appreciate it.

I'm glad to hear you had a great turnout and the weather cooperated. Always nice chatting with you guys at these events and its great to see you and the merp crew having success. Good luck at Honda Hills, may try to go and watch the kids dice it up.

Last edited:
one little tiny thing (and im not a woods or GP guy so maybe its normal) is maybe give just a littttttle more room between classes. in +35 we caught up to the guys in front of us like, literally as soon as we entered the woods which is like, 2 turns...

im sure its tricky to drop that many at once so maybe it cant be changed.. if so, it is what it is!! once people find their groove its not too bad to get around people and i know thats part of the challenge (passing people AND getting the hell out of the way when guys are coming up that actually know what they are doing in the trees, i sure as hell dont). but at least in the first few minutes it seems like pure chaos and coming up on another class that quickly kinda stinks.

would it make more sense to have these starts go into moto instead of woods first? would really allow some more separation? kind of let the riders that "should" be near eachother group up... just thinking out loud if that would make for a better experience or not. thats also coming from a moto guy, a woods guy might said the opposite lol. but im just thinking all of those bikes into 1-2 lined woods sections, make more sense to go into the open stuff first.

anyhow, bj had the track dialed, i didn't race til 1 and the track was awesome. woods were tight for my preference, but I don't go to these because its in my comfort zone, so i'm cool with it, im there for a challenge and something different! Our 6 yr old did his first one, he liked it. I never made it into the woods section of their course, mom had that side covered lol.. but he said he liked it. They struggled with the hill in the back a bit, but lesson learned, told him next time not to let off the gas from the corner til the top of the hill lol. I think the slightest bit of lost momentum and thats all the PW's had. he'll probably do the next one too.

sign up process is always smooth, things start on time, everything's been pretty consistent with how these are ran. its a good flow. i can only see this getting bigger and better each year!

if you're hesitant on these, just do it.
They do mix it up a bit with the starts, I know last year, Grears and Malvern both entered the track first, so it looks like its just a decision made when determining the layout. I could never tell which guys Im actually racing either once you catch that lead group, so I just always figured if I was making passes and moving forward, it couldn't hurt my result.. lol.

Yesterday was an awesome day at beans. I think we had 30 in sportsman class. Grabbed the holeshot and caught C class instantly. Had a few riders hold me up big time and my brother passed methen i saw a little fawn get hit. My brother and i ended up going 1-2 and finished 5th and 11th overall in the session time wise. Moto track was deep, but once you hit that base it was like ice. Never been a fan of the jumps at beans, jumps are too peaky imo, but the track flows nicely, always loved that about beans. The woods were fast in spots, and nice and tight in other (finally!) off cambers with infinite roots made things tricky first couple of laps, but overall this maybe my favorite MERP race this far!

I think Logan prefers the moto start also.
He said he loved it, he was happy that we camped and he got to meet new kids to hang out with.
He loved the prep, but he also loves sand riding and that's what he compared it too.
I don't know if it would help or maybe it was just a one of case of confusion for the peewee class yesterday. Would it be helpfor one the chase bikes to actually be a lead bike for the first lap to get them around the track in the proper route one lap. Be far enough and fast enough infront to not impede but still show them the direction

I think Logan prefers the moto start also.
He said he loved it, he was happy that we camped and he got to meet new kids to hang out with.
He loved the prep, but he also loves sand riding and that's what he compared it too.
I don't know if it would help or maybe it was just a one of case of confusion for the peewee class yesterday. Would it be helpfor one the chase bikes to actually be a lead bike for the first lap to get them around the track in the proper route one lap. Be far enough and fast enough infront to not impede but still show them the direction
Or just give them a site lap. A lead bike could cause issues in a race.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230718_143327_SmugMug.jpg
    Screenshot_20230718_143327_SmugMug.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 72
I got it on GoPro! Also got got hersey giving me the finger and yelling at me in the woods after we collided lmao
Yep. First lap into lots of guys. Gave you 2 opportunities to take an alternate line and you didn't. Yell obscenities at me for being in the way....yep, you got the finger. Then you rammed me causing us to go down. I wasn't happy at all. Your that fast, go around when I give you the opening. No need for that crap on the opening lap in tight woods with lots of riders around.

I think we’re going to experiment with dropping our tower for the peewee race

And also maybe get a “fast” 50’s class in the 8AM race with 65’s. Not 100% sure on that though.

Yep. First lap into lots of guys. Gave you 2 opportunities to take an alternate line and you didn't. Yell obscenities at me for being in the way....yep, you got the finger. Then you rammed me causing us to go down. I wasn't happy at all. You’re that fast, go around when I give you the opening. No need for that crap on the opening lap in tight woods with lots of riders around.
But the Etiquette is to move in these woods racing things for guys that are significantly faster, right ?

But the Etiquette is to move in these woods racing things for guys that are significantly faster, right ?
Yes typically. As me being the lead of the class who took off way over 30 seconds after him, making me take an alternate line and staying in the main line isn’t really grail etiquette. I will yell “hey hey” “sportsman sportsman” but after about the 4th yell I’m not so nice about it. I get everyone is running their own race, but when a leader comes up you move out of the main line, same goes for mx as well. If you’re a lapper, you get the blue flag to indicate leaders are coming and to remove yourself from the main line and use caution.

Back