2023 MERP Grand-Prix Series

Tk40FC

Noob
Hey Jack, just wanted to drop in and say congrats on another successful event. Was the first one I've had a chance to do this year and thought the course ended up being very raceable - a nice mix of technical but still having a really good flow. Lots of places to make passes! Dust this year was a non factor and the track prep seemed to suit all skill levels, you could really push the pace once you hit that sweeper. Couldnt get my bike to fire off the start, but made 24 passes to salvage an 8th, so all in all it was fun to push myself to see if i could get back inside that top ten.

Also, you had a crew member who personally thanked every rider from every race that I was a part of - I thought that was pretty damn cool. Thanks again for all the work you guys do to give us a place to ride our bikes and have a little fun.

Tyler

Last edited:

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
4E675E08-14E2-415D-BEB7-1ABB3B51611C.jpeg

2023 Grears GP Review
Presented by SRS Suspension

Sunday, May 28th
Zanesville, Ohio
Words: Bierbower
Photos:Fraas

We spent our weekend the best way we know how and that’s with you guys racing some dirt bikes. Today’s race track was complemented as one of our best - a nearly perfect balance between woods and motocross. As expected our pro class welcomed some new faces with GNCC on a break weekend and we welcomed the off-road crowd back with open arms.

My biggest take away from today is that I can see we have raised our level. Our program is running smooth, our pit presence has improved leaps and bounds, our marketing approach is working. We really have some steam going here - and that feels special. Things are getting bigger and better with each passing race. We’re learning and improving - and you guys are telling your buddies.

It’s a cheesy word and I’m hesitant to even use it but the “vibe” our racers are bringing on Sundays makes the day a pleasure. We’re seeing people have fun at the races and it’s an honor have something so special happening in our backyard.

The riders are pushing our local scene to new levels. Another excellent turnout once again coming in around 370 riders - down from our last race but almost double where we were last year - exactly ONE year to the day.

The racing today was at such a high level. We had some new talent come into the picture to challenge the old guard. Right in front of my eyes I’m watching some of our mini racers develop into faster, stronger, smarter and more confident racers. Today our 50+ class had 30 racers. 30!! The 50+ guys have seen and raced it all - to have their approval showing up in big numbers must mean we’re doing something right.

Thank you for racing with us. I have a busy week lined up with articles to write, interviews to post, videos to edit and more. Keep your eyes on our social media - there’s a lot of content coming out of this weekend’s race.

The train rolls on.

The Beans GP - July 16th

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Hey Jack, just wanted to drop in and say congrats on another successful event. Was the first one I've had a chance to do this year and thought the course ended up being very raceable - a nice mix of technical but still having a really good flow. Lots of places to make passes! Dust this year was a non factor and the track prep seemed to suit all skill levels, you could really push the pace once you hit that sweeper. Couldnt get my bike to fire off the start, but made 24 passes to salvage an 8th, so all in all it was fun to push myself to see if i could get back inside that top ten.

Also, you had a crew member who personally thanked every rider from every race that I was a part of - I thought that was pretty damn cool. Thanks again for all the work you guys do to give us a place to ride our bikes and have a little fun.

Tyler
This years track was much better than last years. Better course design and The Grears Crew giving it drinks between motos really helped the situation.

Turns out having a little experience helps! Lol.

Thanks for coming out and giving us feedback - you’ve been there since day 1!

4DAIVI PAI2K5

PR Addict
Logan had a great time, once we got there. He was so excited to see and talk with you. The set up in and around the lower building was great and as always that sign up was butter smooth.
Logan said he loved the woods last out this year also.
He got a horrible start, but had a great time battling up against those other 85's. He almost had 5th but went down going for the pass in the woods.

Romanyak256

PR Addict
Another great event! The track layout in the woods this year was much better than last years! The track developed very nice, with many lines and some great ruts. The woods got really rough, rooted and just flat out fun, and some really nice hot lines developed! I got a shorty start in sportsman class, bc my dumbass was hitting the killswitch on the start instead of the start button lol. I was back of the pack, but instantly started making moves, ended up finishing 2nd from almost last.

25+ moto i was second off the start, but quickly was passed by bornhorst and i twisted my knee and my meniscus popped in my right knee, and i pulled off. Hoping to be good to go by the ne t round.

As always y’all are killing it and it’s becoming mine and my brothers favorite series to race due to it being an actual mix of 50% woods and 50% moto. Kudos to y’all again and can’t wait for the next round.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
This is insane. It’s like a wildfire.

370 entries this round - down from Crow but with the holiday weekend and lots of other racing going on. We’ll take it.

If you would have told us last year that these are the numbers we’d be pulling I’d be blown away.

Feels pretty good to be let down by 370.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
This is insane. It’s like a wildfire.

370 entries this round - down from Crow but with the holiday weekend and lots of other racing going on. We’ll take it.

If you would have told us last year that these are the numbers we’d be pulling I’d be blown away.

Feels pretty good to be let down by 370.
Definitely was a tough weekend with a lot of other places racing. Got some people on boats for Memorial Day. Then others racing viva at malvern, d12 at 62 and buckeye series at Eastfork. Was a ton of different options to race glad there was a great turnout still!

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
A2AC3698-CD50-48E9-899C-FE19AB8FB18B.jpeg

The Wiseco Hot Lap award goes to Ellie Winland - The Winner of the Mini 1 class at The Grears GP!

Ellie posted a 5:42 lap time on her second lap of the race en route to taking down an impressive win. Ellie’s diverse racing program of GNCC and trying to punch a ticket to Loretta Lynn’s Amateur National - she has all the tools to grab wins at MERP GP’s.

Congratulations Ellie and good luck at Baja Acres this weekend!

Wiseco has been manufacturing pistons right here in Northeast Ohio for over 80 years - teams such as Factory Honda HRC and FXR Club MX Yamaha choose Wiseco to give them the edge over the competition. It’s clearly working for the Red Riders.

Next time you’re shopping for engine components - there’s only one choice. Wiseco. ️

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
1D7B1FCE-E4B4-4ACC-AC99-4A8D1230C975.jpeg
Thank you 50+ Class Racers

Presented by SRS Suspension

Monday, June 12th
Zanesville, OH
Words: Bierbower
Photo: Metcalf

27 riders on the line for the 50+ class goes to show you that age - is ONLY a number. Some of these guys have kids and grandkids out racing with them at our GP’s. Seeing the number of vet guys we have coming out to our races is humbling. If you’re in the 50+ class there’s a good chance you’ve been racing longer than most of these kids have even been alive. You’ve been to every track and raced every series these is. 50+ guys have stories for days and they are some of the best to bench race with about the tracks and racing of yesteryear. They are full of knowledge and the fact so many 50+ riders are choosing to race with us makes us feel like we are doing something right.

Some folks have a hard time getting out of bed when they hit 50 years old. To have 27 riders not only roll out of bed but also load up their motorcycles and go racing - that’s something special. It’s a testament to your dedication, your riding and commitment to your overall health. Staying young is a mindset and you’re a prime example. Fast or slow - it doesn’t matter. You’re OUT there and that’s what matters.

I can speak for all of the young bucks and say that we all look up to you guys. We hope to be riding and racing as long as you guys have and even longer.

From the whole MERP crew - thank you to the 50+ class and we’ll see ya Beans.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
8B29340D-EA4B-4809-91C5-6E4B5B3685D5.jpeg

Had to bump it up to 20 pages - folks are really digging the magazine and we have too many words to fit into a little 4 (half) page flip book.

More pictures, less editing, and 50 copies this time! Let’s go!

Insane cover shot - I would argue about C class at Loretta’s on vital for 5 days straight if it meant I could get a picture that badass.

Beans soon!

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
7AFCA379-20A1-43A6-8830-C9CB4EF5080D.jpeg

Why MERP at Beans? This is why ya MERP at Beans.

Beans Bike Park is one of Ohio’s best Motocross tracks - it is a gem of a track that doesn’t get the props it deserves.

This years reworked layout uses more of the natural terrain with less man made jumps. Beans still has its classic big tunnel and step up - both of which are safe and easy to roll.

The prep at Beans is ALWAYS top shelf - the faces of the jumps are fresh and the deep dark loamy dirt is watered/groomed to perfection. It’s like having a pro national right here in our backyard.

MERP provides a unique racing format for all types of racers. If you haven’t given a MERP GP a try or been to Beans Bike Park in awhile - there’s no better time than this weekend.

Plus - Open Pro Sport pays $1,000 for the win.

RIDERS.

The Beans GP - Sunday July 16th