I take a few months off... man, you guys are boring....or gay jet ski thread

k01

PR Elite
I didn't even go into my Sister and Brother in Law who show skied professionally for years. They met in the summer in Germany while my sister was skiing there for her summer college job after skiing for Sea World in Ohio for a summer. They both are very good barefooters and skiers, and my brother in law can back flip off of a ski ramp over 100FT which is longer than I ever jumped straight off a ski jump. If you remember the Amazing Race TV show, one season they had a water ski pyramid in the opening of the show behind a big cigarette type boat out in the ocean........ well, that was my sister on the top of the pyramid. She was always the top at Sea World shows too, she skied in Sea World Ohio, Texas, and Florida, and also skied in Germany and in Australia's Sydney Harbor 200th Anniversary summer show. Now she is a Moto Mom to 2 kids that were racing at Loretta Lynn's this year in the 65 class for the boy, and the girls class for her daughter. Lots of water stuff as well as Moto in my family.
Some of us old guys have been doing the ski stuff for a long time. 1960's here, practicing for a ski show slalom routine. All of the four kids in this photo rode dirt bikes. Three of us raced and two of us still race today. The man in the front wearing the Akron ski club shirt was Dale Meyers. He was one of our ski show mentors and one bad man on the water.
Screenshot_2018-08-13-19-44-17-1.png

2018-08-13 20.09.28.jpg

jfalat

PR Addict
Some of us old guys have been doing the ski stuff for a long time. 1960's here, practicing for a ski show slalom routine. All of the four kids in this photo rode dirt bikes. Three of us raced and two of us still race today. The man in the front wearing the Akron ski club shirt was Dale Meyers. He was one of our ski show mentors and one bad man on the water.
View attachment 59050
View attachment 59051
I just don’t see how you bare foot. Seems like that would kill your feet... I think I will pass on trying that..

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
It ain’t bad till you get a dead fish up your foot or hit a submerged log.

Ask me how I know.

A good boat operator will prevent both of those haha.

Reactions: k01

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
KO - Awesome pic-!

So much Americana in that photo -!

The Mustang - the Bronco - not sure on the the other ride.
Name the kids.
Which one is you?

The white & green nylon woven aluminum chair
The buff dude in the white shorts

Americana in the 60's - Awesome pic -!

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
KO1, love the old ski stuff, I’m not much of a fan of the new wake skiing, and didn’t really get into wake boarding either, I was old school Slalom, Trick, and Jump skiing and then barefoot skiing. Skied a little three event skiing in college for fun and ran 28’ off at 36mph as my personal best in slalom, I could only get one and a little bit of 32’ off but didn’t have access to a slalom course really to practice on. I never did any show skiing, that was all my sister.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
I just don’t see how you bare foot. Seems like that would kill your feet... I think I will pass on trying that..
Hurts like a bitch at first - don't let em say otherwise.
Funny though - you get kinda familiar with the "my feet feel numb" sensation and just learn to go with it.

Lotts24

PR Elite
Rocket there is a slalom course at chippewa. Teach me. Lol. I have always wanted to do that. The biggest question is whether or not I can get my behind out of the water on one ski. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill480

PR Addict
Rocket there is a slalom course at chippewa. Teach me. Lol. I have always wanted to do that. The biggest question is whether or not I can get my behind out of the water on one ski. Lol.

I have a cheater rope (and a cheater slalom ski if im being completely honest, thing is huge)

Or you can just get up on two skis and drop one

Lotts24

PR Elite
I have a cheater rope (and a cheater slalom ski if im being completely honest, thing is huge)

Or you can just get up on two skis and drop one

I used to be able to get up on one but that was 20 plus years ago. A cheater ski is always a plus. Lol.

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
The new shaped skis make it easier than ever to ski on a slalom, but the getting out of the water isn't as easy as it used to be. There used to be some gloves out there called Clinchers that made things easier, but I think they are out of business. My dad just found the same type of glove in another brand that he bought to see if he could still ski (and he has a HUGE ski to help get up). I still use my old ski from 30+ years ago, and I'm sure if I knew what to get, a new ski would help a lot.

when people have trouble getting up, we give them a little cheater ski to drop as soon as they get out of the water, don't even put a heal cup on the drop ski because you only use it for a few seconds.

There wasn't a slalom course at Chippewa last year!!!!! I haven't been there this year. But maybe I'll go Sunday after hockey is over in the morning with the ski boat for a little fun. My kid wants to Flyboard all the time though so we usually end up on the Yamaha FX SHO.

Team MMR

PR Addict
West Branch this Sunday? the family will be back out camping and we added more to our fleet (thanks to Cameron for the help)

k01

PR Elite
KO - Awesome pic-!

So much Americana in that photo -!

The Mustang - the Bronco - not sure on the the other ride.
Name the kids.
Which one is you?

The white & green nylon woven aluminum chair
The buff dude in the white shorts

Americana in the 60's - Awesome pic -!

I'm on the left in front between the two cool old guys. My brother is on the far right and Bob Hyde is to his left with the ski belt slipping. Bob now lives at Lake Havasu, is a H-D test rider and still races Super Jets and YZs.

We were on skis early as kids but it was just happenstance that a couple Goodyear engineers moved from Akron to a new Logan plant and brought their water ski expertise and equipment to a place on our little lake. We simply wouldn't have known about, let alone have tried all the trick and show stuff so young. Different times for sure in the 1960's.

Last edited:

k01

PR Elite
View attachment 59054

My Kawi 650 Limited.
I believe this was a race in Huntington WV on the Ohio River.
Must have been around 1987 or maybe 88
You raced before I did. I didn't start riding until late '89. I had to buy a ski before they were outlawed and grandfathered on our lake. I bought two, a new Wave Jammer and a used 550. I got hooked on the 550 and within a year I was racing. Other skis followed. Did every 650 turn on the side rail like that? Here's the front of another hapless one that my 550 had gotten the best of... ;):D
Scan082, January 26, 2005 crop-2.jpg

Last edited: